Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whatzit is brass with a hole with screw threads in the center and other holes around the edge. It looks like it was the end of some kind of tube, with the majority of the tube missing. I found mine on an old farm that is now a college campus. WVExplorer found one and posted his in response to my Today’s finds post.

55AE9803-943C-433F-9884-B130A3EAF137.jpeg

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for looking and may your coil lead you to good things.

WVExplorer’s whatzit like mine. (I copied And pasted it from his reply, I hope it shows up for you all.)

View attachment 1832272[/QUOTE]

Looks like the bottom of an oil filter for a car.

Upvote 0
The object is sitting on 1/4"-square graph paper... which shows the object's diameter is a bit less than 1&1/4th-inch. Is there a version of oil filter which is that small? Asking so I can learn something new.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The object is sitting on 1/4"-square graph paper... which shows the object's diameter is a bit less than 1&1/4th-inch. Is there a version of oil filter which is that small? Asking so I can learn something new.

good catch. that would be kinda too small for this style oil filter.

Upvote 0

There are some small filters for briggs and stratton engines, if this is just the center and missing the outer "cup" part it would be about right for a 2 1/4 inch filter

Upvote 0
There are some small filters for briggs and stratton engines, if this is just the center and missing the outer "cup" part it would be about right for a 2 1/4 inch filter

It may well be a Briggs and Stratton gas filter. They were brass.. I'm not sure oil filters had a brass plate?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 7.02.50 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 7.02.50 PM.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Doesn't look brass to me either. I'd say back end of the little stubby muffler from a small engine?
Maybe it's just the pic, but it doesn't look brass to me... another possibility I thought of is rusted out lawn mower muffler

Upvote 0
I think creskol got it right. It looks very much like part of the end of a Briggs and Stratton fuel filter. The farm was in operation until 1960 when the land was sold to the college. It is brass by the way. I did not clean it up very well so you cannot see the green for the dirt. I did not consider it a find worth keeping so I didn’t clean it up. I was just curious as to what it was. I can usually identify 99% of what I dig up so anything I don’t recognize makes me curious.

Thanks to all for the responses. Stay safe and keep swingin.

Upvote 0
Might be the burner part of a smudge pot, sometimes called a Toledo torch.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back