A great day for relics - you don't see these posted very often !

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3F9A5D8D-6091-4391-B7D3-E12FC93FB1CB.jpegI haven't posted in quite some time , so here goes. I received permission to detect this home that was built in 1900. It was slated to be torn down. I did not find any good coins, much to my surprise, but boy did I find the relics ! The first relic out of the ground was the Batwing Carpet Beater from 1927. The next item out was the Flu Damper from a wood burning stove from around 1915, but the last relic was the best and I could not believe it when I pulled it from the dirt. The first part out of the ground, was the saw blade looking tag. I kept pulling it up, and saw it was attached to a crimped S hook, which was attached to the Skeleton Key. It turns out, that this is a Skeleton Key for the Auditorium Hotel in Chicago, that was built in 1898 ! The numbers 8 - 31 indicate the 8th floor room 31. I was able to water it off and clean it with a toothbrush, then used a little spray varnish to give it a slight sheen. I have already been on Ebay and was able to purchase a time period postcard of the Hotel, with Horses and Buggies parked in front of it. I plan on putting the postcard in a frame with the tag, key and a little story about it all, to display it properly. I don't have any idea how this piece made it 50 miles South of Chicago, but I'm glad that it did, because I found it, and I consider it to be one of the top 3 relics that I have ever found. I have always had a Railroad Baggage Tag on my bucket list, but this key and tag are a great substitute for now ! Happy Fathers Day to all.

Attachments

• 36D98B5E-5D87-494B-9E05-C3EF33813ECB.jpeg
    36D98B5E-5D87-494B-9E05-C3EF33813ECB.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 158CD609-150E-4FBA-BF9B-BDD536AB8199.jpeg
    158CD609-150E-4FBA-BF9B-BDD536AB8199.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 127
  • D690F8C6-0B30-469A-9766-FE2F49EF3D00.jpeg
    D690F8C6-0B30-469A-9766-FE2F49EF3D00.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 169
Upvote 55
View attachment 2089648I haven't posted in quite some time , so here goes. I received permission to detect this home that was built in 1900. It was slated to be torn down. I did not find any good coins, much to my surprise, but boy did I find the relics ! The first relic out of the ground was the Batwing Carpet Beater from 1927. The next item out was the Flu Damper from a wood burning stove from around 1915, but the last relic was the best and I could not believe it when I pulled it from the dirt. The first part out of the ground, was the saw blade looking tag. I kept pulling it up, and saw it was attached to a crimped S hook, which was attached to the Skeleton Key. It turns out, that this is a Skeleton Key for the Auditorium Hotel in Chicago, that was built in 1898 ! The numbers 8 - 31 indicate the 8th floor room 31. I was able to water it off and clean it with a toothbrush, then used a little spray varnish to give it a slight sheen. I have already been on Ebay and was able to purchase a time period postcard of the Hotel, with Horses and Buggies parked in front of it. I plan on putting the postcard in a frame with the tag, key and a little story about it all, to display it properly. I don't have any idea how this piece made it 50 miles South of Chicago, but I'm glad that it did, because I found it, and I consider it to be one of the top 3 relics that I have ever found. I have always had a Railroad Baggage Tag on my bucket list, but this key and tag are a great substitute for now ! Happy Fathers Day to all.
That is a fantastic find. Congratulations. 🎈 The postcard and frame should present it nicely.

Great Save of the old skeleton key, and to be able to I'D where this key came from, makes it over the top. The picture of the old hotel along with this key will truly make a fantastic display with a story to tell. Great idea.

View attachment 2089648I haven't posted in quite some time , so here goes. I received permission to detect this home that was built in 1900. It was slated to be torn down. I did not find any good coins, much to my surprise, but boy did I find the relics ! The first relic out of the ground was the Batwing Carpet Beater from 1927. The next item out was the Flu Damper from a wood burning stove from around 1915, but the last relic was the best and I could not believe it when I pulled it from the dirt. The first part out of the ground, was the saw blade looking tag. I kept pulling it up, and saw it was attached to a crimped S hook, which was attached to the Skeleton Key. It turns out, that this is a Skeleton Key for the Auditorium Hotel in Chicago, that was built in 1898 ! The numbers 8 - 31 indicate the 8th floor room 31. I was able to water it off and clean it with a toothbrush, then used a little spray varnish to give it a slight sheen. I have already been on Ebay and was able to purchase a time period postcard of the Hotel, with Horses and Buggies parked in front of it. I plan on putting the postcard in a frame with the tag, key and a little story about it all, to display it properly. I don't have any idea how this piece made it 50 miles South of Chicago, but I'm glad that it did, because I found it, and I consider it to be one of the top 3 relics that I have ever found. I have always had a Railroad Baggage Tag on my bucket list, but this key and tag are a great substitute for now ! Happy Fathers Day to all.
Congratulations on your recoveries!

Thanks to all for your replies. I think I'm going to ask my wife if she would care to go to Chicago (we are only 50 miles South) and spend the night in that Hotel on the 8th Floor in Room 31 just as the tag said. I think that would be pretty nostalgic !

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Thanks to all for your replies. I think I'm going to ask my wife if she would care to go to Chicago (we are only 50 miles South) and spend the night in that Hotel on the 8th Floor in Room 31 just as the tag said. I think that would be pretty nostalgic !
That would be so cool! Post pics of the hotel and room if you do!! I would love to see!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back