A good way to remove Varnish ,Lacquer , paint,??? Off a Silver Coin ???

Acetone should do it.

I have used acetone, but it comes with problems. As you know it immediately begins to evaporate when it is poured into the container you are working with. A small tight sealing jar is recommended. If you don't contain the fumes, they can be overwhelming. Lots of ventilation is required. Nail polish remover is a cheap source of acetone, even with lemon or lubricants. You would want to wash your coin gently afterwards anyway with mild soap and water. If you are not sure of what the material is that is stuck on your coin, 91% isopropyl alcohol is good for some stubborn dirt and grease, and it dries fast. If you have some partial containers of paint thinner or mineral spirits, you might try that. I would guess actual paint remover can be purchased in smaller quantities now. When I used it to restore antique furniture, it was a dangerous material and came in gallon and larger cans. There are safer products now, but probably not worth the expense for just one coin. You can soak silver coins for up to a few hours, but copper, bronze, and base metal coins react poorly to acetone as it strips original surfaces and leaves the ugly raw finish of a cleaned coin. As you know don't rub your project coin. Simply blot with a soft cloth or tissue. You can use Q-Tips, but believe it or not, cotton is abrasive. I found out the hard way. You can still use the swabs, but ever so gently. I don't recommend "tumbling" or any harsh rubbing. If the foreign matter doesn't come off with solvents, you may have to resort to a "coin dip" product that you can purchase on-line for about $8.00. Go slowly, and I hope you get good results. Be safe and Good Luck! Phil

Interesting.......I've been using acetone for almost 50 years and haven't had a problem with it removing any of the natural patina.

I've never had a problem with it either, and I really only collect copper.

I have used acetone, but it comes with problems. As you know it immediately begins to evaporate when it is poured into the container you are working with. A small tight sealing jar is recommended. If you don't contain the fumes, they can be overwhelming. Lots of ventilation is required. Nail polish remover is a cheap source of acetone, even with lemon or lubricants. You would want to wash your coin gently afterwards anyway with mild soap and water. If you are not sure of what the material is that is stuck on your coin, 91% isopropyl alcohol is good for some stubborn dirt and grease, and it dries fast. If you have some partial containers of paint thinner or mineral spirits, you might try that. I would guess actual paint remover can be purchased in smaller quantities now. When I used it to restore antique furniture, it was a dangerous material and came in gallon and larger cans. There are safer products now, but probably not worth the expense for just one coin. You can soak silver coins for up to a few hours, but copper, bronze, and base metal coins react poorly to acetone as it strips original surfaces and leaves the ugly raw finish of a cleaned coin. As you know don't rub your project coin. Simply blot with a soft cloth or tissue. You can use Q-Tips, but believe it or not, cotton is abrasive. I found out the hard way. You can still use the swabs, but ever so gently. I don't recommend "tumbling" or any harsh rubbing. If the foreign matter doesn't come off with solvents, you may have to resort to a "coin dip" product that you can purchase on-line for about $8.00. Go slowly, and I hope you get good results. Be safe and Good Luck! Phil

Great Advice, esp, about the Q-Tip (I found that out the hard way) & "Dabb" Is a Key word when working with coins.

Also once the Corrosion gets down into the metal , a copper (or Ocean found Silver) is basically 'Shot', I don't care for ruff sandpaper Copper / Bronze. Many times a Dry Clean is best on those.

Of course it all Depends???

Ill try the Acetone ...

For those interested .

I put a 'shout out' for Coins that were dug at local or known historical sites.

A guy at my club brought me 2 from CW Battle Areas (Both dug over 35 years ago) both are dimes one is pre 1860 & the brown one is 1848 or 1846. Why it was painted the brown color IDK.
Thanks for the reply's.

NEVER use nail polish! It isn't pure acetone and can screw up a problem coin even more.

I use a small torch, heat the coin red then place in water too cool. I have a small dremmel like tool with a polishing pad, and use a block of silver polish.

I use a small torch, heat the coin red then place in water too cool. I have a small dremmel like tool with a polishing pad, and use a block of silver polish.

Best advice ever! Lol!

That will work , probably to good. thx

I still have not cleaned the Coin , thought I had some Acetone but can not find it.

I will let yall know what works.

That will work , probably to good. thx

I still have not cleaned the Coin , thought I had some Acetone but can not find it.

I will let yall know what works.
Please do not do this, this will severely damage the coin!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back