A few things yesterday

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Well I took my rake to the creek and raked 2 bars then quit. It’s a lot of work and was making a lot of noise. It’s bow season and wasn’t sure if anyone was out there. I saw a couple of huts but they looked empty. Plus even though it was in the 60s I was sweating raking. I will wait for some hard rain but as the creek level falls I can still walk the water so far. This is all I found and the large tan flake which I’ve found a few I’ve yet to find what they were making out of the material. The bottle was the best find of the day. Bayer used to be in powder form before they made pills. The bottle dates around the 40s. It’s only worth about $5 but it’s cool.
The big green things were dropping with some others about golf ball size I think were hickory nuts. I’m glad none hit me in the head cause when they hit the water it sounded like rocks.

Attachments

• IMG_1932.jpeg
    IMG_1932.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1933.jpeg
    IMG_1933.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1934.jpeg
    IMG_1934.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1935.jpeg
    IMG_1935.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1931.jpeg
    IMG_1931.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 44
Upvote 8
Osage has the highest btu output of any wood.
I didn't know that. Very interesting.

The wood is rot resistant and will survive in direct contact with soil for 50-75 yrs.
I didn't know that either. I'd heard similar about Cedar, but not Osage Orange. The trouble is (at least around here) it's hard to find a piece of it big enough and straight enough to do anything with.

I didn't know that. Very interesting.

I didn't know that either. I'd heard similar about Cedar, but not Osage Orange. The trouble is (at least around here) it's hard to find a piece of it big enough and straight enough to do anything with.
They can be very non-straight grained, even on a log that appears straight from the outside.

I’m not sure how big the orange trees were. I do know there is a section of the property that has thorny trees that’s very hard to pass through. The trees are tall but have skinny branches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back