A few things yesterday

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Well I took my rake to the creek and raked 2 bars then quit. It’s a lot of work and was making a lot of noise. It’s bow season and wasn’t sure if anyone was out there. I saw a couple of huts but they looked empty. Plus even though it was in the 60s I was sweating raking. I will wait for some hard rain but as the creek level falls I can still walk the water so far. This is all I found and the large tan flake which I’ve found a few I’ve yet to find what they were making out of the material. The bottle was the best find of the day. Bayer used to be in powder form before they made pills. The bottle dates around the 40s. It’s only worth about $5 but it’s cool.
The big green things were dropping with some others about golf ball size I think were hickory nuts. I’m glad none hit me in the head cause when they hit the water it sounded like rocks.

Attachments

• IMG_1932.jpeg
    IMG_1932.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1933.jpeg
    IMG_1933.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1934.jpeg
    IMG_1934.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1935.jpeg
    IMG_1935.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1931.jpeg
    IMG_1931.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 44
Upvote 8
That's a cool little bottle.

That round green thing looks heavy... good thing one didn't hit you in the head. Love the little bottle. Thanks for sharing.

That round green thing looks heavy... good thing one didn't hit you in the head. Love the little bottle. Thanks for sharing.
They are. But they are a little softer than a hickory nut. It's a tough call which I'd rather be hit with.

Looks like a Osage Orange maybe? nice bottle.
Yep. It is a hedge ball, fruit of the Osage Orange tree. They weigh enough to sabotage you if it’s a direct hit to the noggin. The osage orange was a favorite wood for primitive archery bows. It is hard and has large growth rings which makes it a little easier to make a bow.

That is a cool bottle, I used to find some old medicine and soda bottles in Stuart County Georgia.
I found a sprite to but it wasn’t old enough to keep probably from the late 70s. Everything else had some major damage

They are. But they are a little softer than a hickory nut. It's a tough call which I'd rather be hit with.
Hickory nuts fall from a higher altitude also. I couldn’t tell you how many times I jumped when they hit the water

Yep. It is a hedge ball, fruit of the Osage Orange tree. They weigh enough to sabotage you if it’s a direct hit to the noggin. The osage orange was a favorite wood for primitive archery bows. It is hard and has large growth rings which makes it a little easier to make a bow.
There is a lot of different types of fruit and nut trees out there. Don’t know if they were there for the natives or not.

Same creek I found the straight side coke in a few weeks ago. Next time I go I will be looking harder at the bottles. I got some bad leg cramps last night after walking

It felt good to get out and have a look. Last couple of weeks have been tough. I got the Flu, after throwing up so hard I strained all my neck muscles. Never done that one before very painful to say the least. Then just for fun I decided to get a kidney stone stuck in my bladder. No lie I thought I was dying. But today I’m feeling pretty good. Thanks to the guys I reached out to for support during my rough days.

It felt good to get out and have a look. Last couple of weeks have been tough. I got the Flu, after throwing up so hard I strained all my neck muscles. Never done that one before very painful to say the least. Then just for fun I decided to get a kidney stone stuck in my bladder. No lie I thought I was dying. But today I’m feeling pretty good. Thanks to the guys I reached out to for support during my rough days.
I’m glad you’re recovering.

There is a lot of different types of fruit and nut trees out there. Don’t know if they were there for the natives or not.
I don’t know about ancient man. The tribes that were here in the 1700s and 1800s definitely used it in the areas where it grows. Yew wood was another popular bow wood, in some areas.

I've sometimes sat under a huge oak tree while searching for arrowheads and wondered if someone long ago sat under that tree chipping a piece of rock into a tool. But then I realize, the biggest and oldest trees that I see didn't exist at all back then. The person who made the arrowhead I found had probably been dead for a thousand years before that tree even sprouted. It kinda boggles the mind. But no doubt that tree's ancestors were there, and most likely so were yours.

Osage oranges, also called hedge trees, are a native of OK. They were brought east in the 1800s for wind rows and fences on farms and spread from there. The trees come in male and female, thorned and thornless. To propagate it’s best to find a male thornless tree and cut small branches in the spring and stick them in the ground. Male trees don’t produce fruit. They will root and grow. If you plant them close enough together they will grow together and form a dense fence critters can’t get through. For burning in a wood stove, Osage has the highest btu output of any wood. The wood is rot resistant and will survive in direct contact with soil for 50-75 yrs. It’s an amazing tree.

Osage oranges, also called hedge trees, are a native of OK. They were brought east in the 1800s for wind rows and fences on farms and spread from there. The trees come in male and female, thorned and thornless. To propagate it’s best to find a male thornless tree and cut small branches in the spring and stick them in the ground. Male trees don’t produce fruit. They will root and grow. If you plant them close enough together they will grow together and form a dense fence critters can’t get through. For burning in a wood stove, Osage has the highest btu output of any wood. The wood is rot resistant and will survive in direct contact with soil for 50-75 yrs. It’s an amazing tree.
Yes. Also, too much hedge in a wood stove can be a bad thing. Ive heard a cabin stove that sounded like a steam locomotive. It was going crazy. Gotta watch how much goes in. I mix it with other wood, maybe 20% hedge, to be safe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back