A few finds, large and small

Glen's Loyalists

Jan 7, 2024
A quick hunt with my son yesterday gave a couple of interesting finds, both large and small.

On the small side, my son found this and almost tossed it, thinking it was a rivet or something. Closer examination once the encrustation was removed showed it to be silver, most likely Newcastle, with a Y date code. I am still trying to determine the exact date as the marks are tiny, but it seems to be early Victorian. Now what is it? I am thinking it is a candle holder from a charm bracelet or maybe a dolls set. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

20240909_154731673_iOS.jpg
IMG_3229.jpg

Next up in terms of size is this 1824 Nova Scotia Thistle Half Penny. We finds lots of these here, usually totaled, although occasionally we will get a nice one. This is a bit better than most we find, and 1824 is the hardest date of the series.

IMG_3223.jpg
IMG_3224.jpg

Also found is this interesting and very chunky coat button. Originally silver gilt, it has an interesting design in wire work with hearts. Buttons are one of my favorite finds, most are usually military, but it is unusual so makes the grade. From its robustness, I would say it is earlier in the 19th century.

IMG_3225.jpg
IMG_3226.jpg

And on the larger side, is this Swiss Saignelegier Chiantel Foundry bell. These are common and all dated 1878, but a cool find. My first of this bell. I nearly didn't dig it as it screamed so loudly on the detector I figured it to be a coke can. But, as it was about 20 feet from where I dug the 1827 pattern British navel sword handguard that I posted earlier and which sounded the same, I couldn't not dig it.

IMG_3222.jpg
IMG_3219.jpg

I have another one that my Grandfather gave me many years ago, so so you can see the detail better.

Although not cleaned yet, my son stumbled into a heap of old carriage & saddle parts, all showing traces of burning. Too many signals to dig, we think an old carriage was burnt out in the field at some point. We have found a lot of carriage related items scattered throughout this small field.

IMG_3233.jpg

With this hunt though, I have to say smaller is better, I really like this little find.

IMG_3220.jpg

Upvote 30
A quick hunt with my son yesterday gave a couple of interesting finds, both large and small.

On the small side, my son found this and almost tossed it, thinking it was a rivet or something. Closer examination once the encrustation was removed showed it to be silver, most likely Newcastle, with a Y date code. I am still trying to determine the exact date as the marks are tiny, but it seems to be early Victorian. Now what is it? I am thinking it is a candle holder from a charm bracelet or maybe a dolls set. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

View attachment 2167753 View attachment 2167754

Next up in terms of size is this 1824 Nova Scotia Thistle Half Penny. We finds lots of these here, usually totaled, although occasionally we will get a nice one. This is a bit better than most we find, and 1824 is the hardest date of the series.

View attachment 2167755 View attachment 2167756

Also found is this interesting and very chunky coat button. Originally silver gilt, it has an interesting design in wire work with hearts. Buttons are one of my favorite finds, most are usually military, but it is unusual so makes the grade. From its robustness, I would say it is earlier in the 19th century.

View attachment 2167757 View attachment 2167758

And on the larger side, is this Swiss Saignelegier Chiantel Foundry bell. These are common and all dated 1878, but a cool find. My first of this bell. I nearly didn't dig it as it screamed so loudly on the detector I figured it to be a coke can. But, as it was about 20 feet from where I dug the 1827 pattern British navel sword handguard that I posted earlier and which sounded the same, I couldn't not dig it.

View attachment 2167759 View attachment 2167760

I have another one that my Grandfather gave me many years ago, so so you can see the detail better.

Although not cleaned yet, my son stumbled into a heap of old carriage & saddle parts, all showing traces of burning. Too many signals to dig, we think an old carriage was burnt out in the field at some point. We have found a lot of carriage related items scattered throughout this small field.

View attachment 2167763

With this hunt though, I have to say smaller is better, I really like this little find.

View attachment 2167761
It looks like a really small incense stick burner.

That's a really cool looking bell. Congrats

Did you try Lensing it? Some very similar pieces pop up. 😉

I've found several of those Nova Scotia coppers in New Brunswick, mostly halfpennies but also some pennies. They are often in good shape here. I like them, and the New Brunswick coins too. Nice thistle and ship respectively.

I've found several of those Nova Scotia coppers in New Brunswick, mostly halfpennies but also some pennies. They are often in good shape here. I like them, and the New Brunswick coins too. Nice thistle and ship respectively.
If the ground is well drained they hold up well, but in wet clay ground they tend to degrade something fierce.

That miniature chamber stick looks like it has definite silver hallmarks on it. I'm thinking it's a very detailed dollhouse piece. Might have some value to those who collect fine miniatures. It might also be a silver bracelet charm.

Last edited:

View attachment 2167763

View attachment 2167761
Love the bell👍
Not sure id take you up on an invite for dinner though. :laughing7:

View attachment 2167763

View attachment 2167761
that's a super set of saves there, wtg. really like the bell and the tiny silver

Some cool finds there. I agree those are English hallmarks on the chamberstick and a sharper picture would be helpful. All three cartouches seem to be shields with indents creating a point at the the bottom, which would be more consistent for Birmingham 1948, but I can't see the first icon as an anchor. If for Newcastle, this would have to be a partial hallmark set with additional marks elsewhere on the piece.

Hallmarks.jpg

Birmingham:
Birmingham.jpg

Newcastle:
Newcastle.jpg

If it weighs less than 7.78g it would be exempt from hallmarking unless part of a larger assembled piece (as in links for a chain, bracelet charms, a pendant on a chain etc).

View attachment 2167763

View attachment 2167761
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Some cool finds there. I agree those are English hallmarks on the chamberstick and a sharper picture would be helpful. All three cartouches seem to be shields with indents creating a point at the the bottom, which would be more consistent for Birmingham 1948, but I can't see the first icon as an anchor. If for Newcastle, this would have to be a partial hallmark set with additional marks elsewhere on the piece.

View attachment 2168287

Birmingham:
View attachment 2168288

Newcastle:
View attachment 2168289

If it weighs less than 7.78g it would be exempt from hallmarking unless part of a larger assembled piece (as in links for a chain, bracelet charms, a pendant on a chain etc).

Thank you very much for your help. I have tried to get better photos but the stamps are tiny and not very well formed, even under a magnifying glass. The 1948 date is certainly not out of the question, on another hunt today we pulled a 1943 silver quarter as well as a very nice silver broach from 1912. I am posting that shortly. Overgrown now, I suspect this field was still open up to the 1950's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back