A few Civil War finds from tonight

arrowheadted

Jun 2, 2012
This morning I woke up to the sound of heavy equipment working at the school across the street from my house. Not thinking too much about I poured myself a cup of coffee and got ready for work. While driving to work I noticed that they were moving dirt and had an area marked out for a new road and parking lot on the school property. Knowing the long history of the property that pre dates the Civil war I could hardly wait to return home from work and get out the metal detector. Work drug on and I finally got home at 4pm to find an exhausted wife and and upset newborn (3 weeks old). Wanting to run out and hit the open ground but knowing the right thing to do was to stay at home to comfort the wife and baby lily. So I convinced the wife to lay down for a nap I took the baby and went through the steps, diaper check, bottle check, burp check, then I rocked my girl into a deep sleep and put her down next to her sleeping mother. By 530 I was on my way to find some treasures. As soon as I arrived I knew i was going to find something old, it just looked so good. They had scraped off the top 10 inches of topsoil if an area about 20' by 100'. As soon as the detector got close to the ground it started making those sweet sounds we all love to hear. First item I dug was a dropped colt round. After about 2 hours I had 6 colt bullets and a couple of larger rounds, 1 union infantry button and a pocket full of camp lead. At this point the sun was going down and the texts starting coming in from the wife. After text # 3 I headed back to the truck to be reunited with my true treasure waiting at home. Another positive note is that they have only dug out about 10% of the area they surveyed to remove. My hope is that they get it all dug by the weekend so I have some time to cover it better. I'll be back out tomorrow at sunrise. Here's some pictures of my finds.

image-1077761710.jpg

My greatest treasure!

Attachments

• image-4055987860.jpg
    image-4055987860.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 97
  • image-38562634.jpg
    image-38562634.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 87
  • image-2015151883.jpg
    image-2015151883.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 116
Upvote 0
Nice score , ha ha I remember them days been there 5 times the long nights ,bottles ,diapers I feel for ya but its all worth it ! The most valuable treasure in the world is in your first picture !

nice relics. babies are cool too. :icon_thumleft:

I am here in Middle Tennessee. Went back tonight with a buddy and found 4 more colt drops. Workers told me they were laying the gravel down on Thursday. Oh well, we cleaned it out pretty well. He found about 6 drops himself. Pretty good for a 2 hour hunt. Thanks for looking and HH.

Here's a pic of the area from 1887, and my buddy's finds too. We were hunting about 100 feet in front of the barn on the left side around that big oak tree. The main building has long been removed and is now a soccer field.

Attachments

• image-63180330.jpg
    image-63180330.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 63
  • image-2040155923.jpg
    image-2040155923.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Notice the time of these posts, its the 330 am bottle feeding time. About a month ago I would be sleeping soundly at this hour :-)

Last edited:
Check out the buckle I found at this site on my current post. It's from the same place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back