A day on my own

TimmyNY

Nov 28, 2005
Western New York
It was a nice day yesterday so I decided to go out and hit some cellar holes near me. John and Jeff were busy so I had to go it alone. I got the area with the idea of hitting a hole that we've hit a couple times before, but as I drove to the hole I passed one that I knew was there but we haven't hit because it was quite a bit newer than what we usually look for.

Now it was pretty open and there was about an acre or so surrounding the cellar hole and a large barn. there are also 3 wells and a garage foundation on the property.

[attach 1]

I was quite surprised when the first signal turned out to be a piece of a large sleigh bell. I was not expecting to find anything that old there. most of the other finds were more modern. I would say from the 1920s. all in all I spent about 3 hours there.

I found a bunch of sleigh bells and a nice buckle. the 1919 merc came from near the garage foundation as did the plate with "xwell motor corporation"on it.

[attach 2]

[attach 3]

[attach 4]

after looking it up on the internet I found that the plate is a serial number for a Maxwell motor corp car. This company operated under that name from 1920 to 1924 when It became Chrysler

[attach 5]

at this point I took a break and called John to see if he was coming out. He had other plans so I put on the small coil and headed back to hunt right up around the hole.

more to come

Attachments

• the hole.JPG
    the hole.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 396
  • bells.JPG
    bells.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 405
  • stuff.JPG
    stuff.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 393
  • maxwell.JPG
    maxwell.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 390
  • maxwell2.JPG
    maxwell2.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 397
Upvote 0
I headed back to the hole and soon came up with a few more finds. a nice silver pocket watch and a 1865 british penny.

[attach 1]

[attach 2]

[attach 3]

The rest of the day I drove around a bit looking for spots for us to hit today. of course this is what I woke up to so I guess we'll have to wait till next weekend

[attach 4]

Tim

Attachments

• second trip.JPG
    second trip.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 385
  • penny front.JPG
    penny front.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 377
  • penny back.JPG
    penny back.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 389
  • this morning.JPG
    this morning.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 390
Tim,
great day for ys. I wish I didnt have to work yesterday but whay can ya do. I guess we need to start hitting all the holes since this one produced stuff we would not have figured would be there. Next weekend looks good weather wise, we need to get out. I am sure John will be making the plan up.
Jeff

Nice digs, ha, you got more snow that me! ;D

It'll all melt quickly though, good luck next weekend too!

Nice finds! Love the British coin and the sleigh bells. Keep digging.

HH

Hi Tim.
Looks like you had a good day,The penny is in nice condition,
shame about the hole. I like the pocket watch too.
I hope the snow dos'nt last too long.

HH Dave.

Very nice Timmy Sorry to see that snow, I feel lucky now we are only getting heavy rain.
Ken

Nice Finds Tim, I like the old pocket watch body. Looks very ornate.. The sleigh bells look that they will clean up well also. Should be fun continuing the hunt.. HH Midnightguy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back