DSCN3129 B.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 350
No.1 looks like a Police button

No.2 Looks to be late 18th century

Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:

Really, police used buttons with a single crown. First I've heard of that but would make sense because there are quite a few and the lack of unit names or numbers was always a bit suspect to me to be military.

The second button is tough to tell because it is a little blurry. I do however clearly see a little guy on the right side looking down. Maybe you can ask him? :D (Do you see him?)

Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:

Really, police used buttons with a single crown. First I've heard of that but would make sense because there are quite a few and the lack of unit names or numbers was always a bit suspect to me to be military.

The second button is tough to tell because it is a little blurry. I do however clearly see a little guy on the right side looking down. Maybe you can ask him? :D (Do you see him?)
Hey IP ,this the little guy your talkin bout?

Attachments

• indexCA63P78D.jpg
    indexCA63P78D.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 338
Upvote 0
humm on the police button --- why are all 12 points of the compass noted like that?

Upvote 0
I should have added a little background info. They came from the site of a small setttlement dating back to late 18th cent. I've dug probably a hundred buttons there including several tombacs, and the most recent ones date to the 1840's. Also a William IIII farthing which I think is 1831. Thanks and HH

Upvote 0
The second button...possibly a Corps of Commission button. :icon_scratch: looks like it may be the anchor with the small circular area at the left side.

Attachments

• Militarybutton04.jpg
    Militarybutton04.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 295
Upvote 0
You guys are too funny. :D

I don't think it's crossed anything. Just a simple '+' design on a button.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
DCMatt said:
You guys are too funny. :D

I don't think it's crossed anything. Just a simple '+' design on a button.

DCMatt

In which case it could be the X (10th) Reminent of Foot which ties in nicely with my first answer of the timeframe based on the metal type & construction:
http://www.redcoat.org/

Upvote 0
RickyP said:
Kinda looks like crossed cannons, maybe artillery button

That was my initial hunch, but I'm not so sure now. I finally acquired a lupe and have been looking closer.

Only one of the cross members has the bulge that I thought might be the chamber of a cannon. The other is uniform in width with what might be a sharpened point on one end. It's hard to say because of corrosion. The best way I can describe the figure with the bulge is that it looks like a canoe paddle. Here's another pic. Thanks everyone for the input.

Attachments

• DSCN3194.JPG
    DSCN3194.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 167
Upvote 0
mxtswinger said:
RickyP said:
Kinda looks like crossed cannons, maybe artillery button

That was my initial hunch, but I'm not so sure now. I finally acquired a lupe and have been looking closer.

Only one of the cross members has the bulge that I thought might be the chamber of a cannon. The other is uniform in width with what might be a sharpened point on one end. It's hard to say because of corrosion. The best way I can describe the figure with the bulge is that it looks like a canoe paddle. Here's another pic. Thanks everyone for the input.

Crossed spoon and sword? An army cook's button? ::) ;D

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back