🔎 UNIDENTIFIED A couple large rocks from the field walk today

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I keep a look out for interesting rocks when walking fields in search of artifacts. Today these two were right on top. I believe the one to be a brown jasper. It looked orange when wet. The other, I suspect, is chert and possibly a flint variety of chert. If you think they are something else, please let me know. Thanks
They are in the 2 inch size range.

Attachments

• IMG_2196.jpeg
    IMG_2196.jpeg
    829.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
They both look like chert to me. The one on the right is Burlington. I can see the crinoid fossils. The white specks are crushed crinoid pieces. If you look close you can see just a few uncrushed crinoids.

Upvote 1
They both look like chert to me. The one on the right is Burlington. I can see the crinoid fossils. The white specks are crushed crinoid pieces. If you look close you can see just a few uncrushed crinoids.
I always get confused on the opaque, smooth, colored stones. I’ve been reading on jasper vs. chert, but I get a little lost. That is the biggest piece of Burlington chert I’ve found. Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0
Jasper is opaque. It is related to volcanic activity. Chert can be opaque or translucent and is found in limestone which is sedimentary. Translucent chert is usually higher quality stuff. Finer grained but can still be tough and needs heated.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back