A collection of whats its

vickilynn

May 19, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites prizm 950 V
Hi , I have visited here from time to time and it always feels like.... going home . In other words Its feels so great to find people just like me that will treasure hunt for anything and keep EVERYTHING lol. I save everything from the tiny little beads marbles buttons bottles and everything in between. For the first 20 years or so I just dug old sites ,then about 4 years ago I got my first detector, unfortunately I have not hunted as much as i would like. That's why visiting here is very self satisfying . I also must add I am truly amazed at all knowledge you folks have . So today I am posting a few of my past finds that I am either have no clue or am not quite sure "what the heck it is"

Thank you kindly for any input or just post to say Hi
Vickilynn
Ps. some descriptions :
a metal object embossed man ... stamp?
milk glass thingy reads PAT OCT 27 1875
some sort of jewelry says HOBE

Attachments

• whatsit 002.JPG
    whatsit 002.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 459
  • whatsit 004.JPG
    whatsit 004.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 453
  • whatsit 007.JPG
    whatsit 007.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 455
  • whatsit 014.JPG
    whatsit 014.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 452
"The man" is a printing plate. It appears to be an image of a Prince Albert frock which would make it from the late 19th or very early 20th C.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
the glass tube thing if it is sealed it use to be part of an old electrical faker machine.... They would plug it into a high voltage electrode and pass the glass over an ailing body part, the gas in the tube would light up with an light show as proof it was healing you....

Upvote 0
The long white porcelain cylinder thing is call a wall tube and was commonly used for old style "knob & tube" wiring. It is a type of insulator.

800px-Knob-and-tubes.jpg

Upvote 0
The dark colored tube with the handle on one end looks like an old medical syringe.

Attachments

• syringe_hypodermic_set_E.B._Brandt_open.jpg
    syringe_hypodermic_set_E.B._Brandt_open.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 427
Upvote 0
The milk glass item is a bird cage dish.

dish2b.jpg

DCMatt

Upvote 0
DCMatt said:

dish2b.jpg

DCMatt

Good call Matt. Did you attribute the patent date to that when you found it? I have been searching and haven't found a U.S. patent with that date. I know during that period of time many items had patent dates on them but weren't actually issued patents.

Upvote 0
Some info on the HOBE jewelry. source from here http://www.collectics.com/education_jewelrydesigners2.html

Hobé: Hobé Cie was founded in New York City in the 1930s by William Hobé, an émigré from France who came from a family famous for their jewelry making. Long before, a French company of the same name was established by William Hobé's father Jacques Hobé in Paris, France in 1887. Jacques Hobé was quite well known in Europe as a master goldsmith and designer & manufacturer of fine jewelry. American Hobé costume jewelry was sold primarily in upscale department stores, adopting the slogan "jewels of legendary splendor" in 1946. A master marketer, young William Hobé approached the legendary Florence Ziegfeld to create exotic costume jewelry for the showgirls to wear in the yearly productions of the Ziegfeld Follies. This contract was really the start of Hobé's costume jewelry making operations in the U. S., and it is said that Florence Ziegfeld originated the term "costume jewelry" in referring to the pieces Hobé created for him and his theatrical productions. Throughout their history, Hobé jewelry has been all handmade and used in many theatrical and movie productions during the middle of the 20th century. One of the most popular lines at Hobé were the romantic floral brooches and particularly the rose bouquet, an incredibly realistic recreation of a bouquet of long-stemmed roses with leaves and held together by ribbons and bows. Especially in their early years of production 1935-1955 their work was of the very highest quality and used many of the techniques of fine jewelry in creating the metalwork and hand setting the stones. Hobé jewelry uses high quality stones and sterling silver, gold, and platinum plated metalwork in contrast to lesser materials. They also made many reproductions of jewelry for the royal courts of Europe and other lines resembling such for sale at their exclusive outlets. Most of their work was signed "Hobé" impressed in the metalwork or on an oval plaque "© Hobé". Hobe' ceased jewelry making operations in 1992. (Reference Source: Masterpieces of Costume Jewelry @ the Collectics Collector Bookstore)

Upvote 0
Yes. I simply Googled the date and searched images. I found the item on two different pages. That's good enough for me. I was a bit surprised at the ID. My first thought was ink blotter.

DCMatt
72cheyenne said:
DCMatt said:

dish2b.jpg

DCMatt

Good call Matt. Did you attribute the patent date to that when you found it? I have been searching and haven't found a U.S. patent with that date. I know during that period of time many items had patent dates on them but weren't actually issued patents.

Upvote 0
Who-da thunk birdcage dish ? that was never my guess lol Also when i typed HOBE in as Hobé my thingy looks like it might be a purse handle? I wonder if they used real gems ?
That was fun ! thanks all I could not wait to get back and see my replies.... after all it is Jan in Maine ! what the heck else am I gonna do : ) Vickilynn

Upvote 0
My first thought on the gold gem one is purse frame.

Oooooh Man, I am always too late! Just checked in and saw you had already said purse frame ::)

Upvote 0
tink said:
:director: Your not keeping up BCH ! ;D
Ah OK thanks...2nd post good ID Matt.. I missed that. :-[ Hard to keep up sometimes. I just cleared a bad Trojan Virus. So what is that item near the loose sleeve that looks like a X-mas tree ornament? ...a watch fob?

Frockcoatsuit_informal_check.jpgprint plate frock coat rev.jpg

Upvote 0
tink said:
:dontknow: Where the hand is suppose to be??????
It looks like its missing a hand. :dontknow: The one without the cane. I guess the entire arm is inside the coat :-\ but what is that thing hanging down?

Upvote 0
I was sitting here cracking up thinking you were wacked lolol. i kept staring at that photo in your post looking for something about his hand! you never said you meant on the plate. okay let me go study it :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
tink said:
I was sitting here cracking up thinking you were wacked lolol. i kept stairing at that photo in your post looking for something about his hand! you never said you meant on the plate. okay let me go study it :icon_scratch:
Its true I may finally be cracking up :tongue3: (too much lead chewing as a child or maybe playing with mercury too often) but it still looks like a hand missing. I added an enlarged reversed pic of the plate. I realize now his hand is simply in his pocket.

Upvote 0
Ayyy stop adding to your post you're making my post sound dumb now :whip2:
Yeah, you're right, it does look like an ornament! his hand is in his pocket on that side and i can't see the pic while i'm posting this and forget what else i was gonna say! you better stay up and figure it out cause i'm sleepy ;D

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back