A buffalo with a date, a small roundball, 2 silvers from the school, a nice knife and I found a lonesome George at the store.

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
With student off I got back to the elementary school on a week day. I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and extending a grid. I found 34 coins with a face value $2.63, a buffalo nickel, a roundball, a sinker, a modern copper clad bullet, 2 copper nails, a flattened and mangled spoon, a modern button, aluminum fence wire, can slaw, tabs and pencil ends.

DSCN3300.jpeg

The buffalo nickel is in rough shape, but has a clear date. A buffalo with a date is harder to find than a Mercury dime in my area.

DSCN3303.jpeg

Another detectorist showed up and started detecting at the other end of the field. He only stayed for about an hour. I talked to him and he said he had gotten permission from a custodian about 3 years ago and he has been detecting there off and on ever since. I thought I was the only one with permission but I had been told by a school neighbor that 2 other people have been detecting there. It appears I am the only one gridding, because they are leaving spots of goodies.

DAY 2
I went back to the festival grounds grass parking area and started gridding and extending my last grid. The lawn mower team showed up with 4 zero turn mowers and started zipping around mowing so I moved out of the way and went to the areas around the ball fields which is maintained by a different group so I didn’t have to dodge the mowers.

I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 82 coins with a face value of $4.15, a wheatie, an earring, 4 modern bullets, a small aluminum D ring from a tent, a key tag ring, a car key, 3 railroad track clips, whole aluminum cans, can slaw, personal tent pegs, and tabs.

DSCN3304.jpeg

The railroad clips, also knows as anchors are used to keep the track from moving to far. These were found within 20 feet off the railroad track that is still in use. They were found scattered in about a ten foot square area. I understand they are good knife making steel, but I’ll just scrap them.

IMG_8727.jpeg

The earring is silver and marked 925. It’s a little bent up and small but it is still silver so that’s good.

DSCN3305.jpeg

DAY 3
I went to the swimming area where the bottom drops off quickly and the water level drops to an empty swimming area by the end of the summer each year. I spent 3.5 hours swingin the ATPro and I covered all the beach and the swimming area in the water up to my chin. I found 5 coins with a face value of $0.51, 2 earrings, a ring, an earring back, a pendant, 3/4 of a tab, a small whatzit, a necklace, a large stainless bolt and a batch of foil.

DSCN3307.jpeg

The ring is stainless and is marked ASSASINS CREED. It looks nice, but is definitely an inexpensive one. The stainless bolt was part of the swimming area floats. 2 workers came to reinstall a divider rope and I showed it to them. They were happy to have it returned.

DSCN3308.jpeg

DAY 4
I got back for my weekly trip to the middle school. I extended a grid near where the other guys were detecting when I saw them a few weeks ago. Overall the targets were fewer, but they did miss some stuff including some goodies.

I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 69 coins with a face value of $4.46, a knife, a zodiac coin, a silver dime, a cross, a game tab, part of a toy car, part of a small toy gun, a house key, a shoe grommet, a brass nut, a screw in cleat, can slaw and cans, foil, aluminum fence wire, aluminum bottle caps, tabs and pencil ends.

DSCN3309.jpeg

The zodiac coin is for PISCES, with the 2 fish on one side and a naughty picture on the back. The silver dime is a 1944 merc in decent shape. I found it about 5 feet from where one of the guys was digging when I talked to them. The cross is pretty scratched up on the front. It was only about an inch down. When I saw it I thought stainless because of the coating that gives it a stainless look. When I flipped it over and saw 925 on the back I was both happy and surprised. The game tab is from a Pepsi game and has the letter X on the underside and 904 on the top. All the Pepsi game tabs including the earlier beaver tails are marked with the 904.

DSCN3310.jpeg

DSCN3312.jpeg

The knife was my first target of the day and was a mid tone. It is stainless steel and is a BUCK number 135. A number of them are for sale on line with the box and sheath. The lowest price listed is $55 so this one without the box and sheath should be worth at least $10 at my yard sale.

DSCN3311.jpeg

Because the area I was hunting had a lot of space between targets I covered a lot of ground and did better than expected. A nice way to end the week.

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I made a new little friend at my house. While I was cleaning out some debris in the guttters this butterfly landed on the roof. It’s a nice looking one and I identified it as a RED ADMIRAL.

IMG_8736.jpeg

While walking in a local park with my wife I came upon a small wild flower I have not seen before. The flower has a bulbous body with petals coming out of the end. It looks like a white campion from what I can find on line. It is supposed to be a common wild flower, but it is definitely not common around here. I’ve lived in this area for over 50 years and I have never seen one before. The only patch of them I have found here was at the base of an oak tree.

IMG_8718.jpeg

IMG_8721.jpeg

I walked around the high school parking lot and found 9 pennies, 2 dimes and a nickel. I went into the convenience store and found a dollar bill on the floor, a dime and a penny on the floor at the market and a penny in the coinstar. I also found a couple of dimes while walking on Main Street. A better week for eyeball coins than usual.

DSCN3313.jpeg

3 silvers and gas money makes a good week. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Attachments

• DSCN3302.jpeg
    DSCN3302.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
Upvote 20
Nice amount of recoveries once with a bit if silver.
Nice blade.
The plant might be from this species.

WHITE CAMPION (SILENE LATIFOLIA)

I'm not sure if you know but that zodiac coin is a peep show coin from the 70s. I actually found about five of them in an older park where I live and found a descriptionof them on the internet.
Thanks for the info. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

DAY 1
With student off I got back to the elementary school on a week day. I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and extending a grid. I found 34 coins with a face value $2.63, a buffalo nickel, a roundball, a sinker, a modern copper clad bullet, 2 copper nails, a flattened and mangled spoon, a modern button, aluminum fence wire, can slaw, tabs and pencil ends.

View attachment 2154342

The buffalo nickel is in rough shape, but has a clear date. A buffalo with a date is harder to find than a Mercury dime in my area.

View attachment 2154341

Another detectorist showed up and started detecting at the other end of the field. He only stayed for about an hour. I talked to him and he said he had gotten permission from a custodian about 3 years ago and he has been detecting there off and on ever since. I thought I was the only one with permission but I had been told by a school neighbor that 2 other people have been detecting there. It appears I am the only one gridding, because they are leaving spots of goodies.

DAY 2
I went back to the festival grounds grass parking area and started gridding and extending my last grid. The lawn mower team showed up with 4 zero turn mowers and started zipping around mowing so I moved out of the way and went to the areas around the ball fields which is maintained by a different group so I didn’t have to dodge the mowers.

I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 82 coins with a face value of $4.15, a wheatie, an earring, 4 modern bullets, a small aluminum D ring from a tent, a key tag ring, a car key, 3 railroad track clips, whole aluminum cans, can slaw, personal tent pegs, and tabs.

View attachment 2154353

The railroad clips, also knows as anchors are used to keep the track from moving to far. These were found within 20 feet off the railroad track that is still in use. They were found scattered in about a ten foot square area. I understand they are good knife making steel, but I’ll just scrap them.

View attachment 2154354

The earring is silver and marked 925. It’s a little bent up and small but it is still silver so that’s good.

View attachment 2154355

DAY 3
I went to the swimming area where the bottom drops off quickly and the water level drops to an empty swimming area by the end of the summer each year. I spent 3.5 hours swingin the ATPro and I covered all the beach and the swimming area in the water up to my chin. I found 5 coins with a face value of $0.51, 2 earrings, a ring, an earring back, a pendant, 3/4 of a tab, a small whatzit, a necklace, a large stainless bolt and a batch of foil.

View attachment 2154356

The ring is stainless and is marked ASSASINS CREED. It looks nice, but is definitely an inexpensive one. The stainless bolt was part of the swimming area floats. 2 workers came to reinstall a divider rope and I showed it to them. They were happy to have it returned.

View attachment 2154346

DAY 4
I got back for my weekly trip to the middle school. I extended a grid near where the other guys were detecting when I saw them a few weeks ago. Overall the targets were fewer, but they did miss some stuff including some goodies.

I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 69 coins with a face value of $4.46, a knife, a zodiac coin, a silver dime, a cross, a game tab, part of a toy car, part of a small toy gun, a house key, a shoe grommet, a brass nut, a screw in cleat, can slaw and cans, foil, aluminum fence wire, aluminum bottle caps, tabs and pencil ends.

View attachment 2154347

The zodiac coin is for PISCES, with the 2 fish on one side and a naughty picture on the back. The silver dime is a 1944 merc in decent shape. I found it about 5 feet from where one of the guys was digging when I talked to them. The cross is pretty scratched up on the front. It was only about an inch down. When I saw it I thought stainless because of the coating that gives it a stainless look. When I flipped it over and saw 925 on the back I was both happy and surprised. The game tab is from a Pepsi game and has the letter X on the underside and 904 on the top. All the Pepsi game tabs including the earlier beaver tails are marked with the 904.

View attachment 2154349

View attachment 2154350

The knife was my first target of the day and was a mid tone. It is stainless steel and is a BUCK number 135. A number of them are for sale on line with the box and sheath. The lowest price listed is $55 so this one without the box and sheath should be worth at least $10 at my yard sale.

View attachment 2154348

Because the area I was hunting had a lot of space between targets I covered a lot of ground and did better than expected. A nice way to end the week.

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I made a new little friend at my house. While I was cleaning out some debris in the guttters this butterfly landed on the roof. It’s a nice looking one and I identified it as a RED ADMIRAL.

View attachment 2154352

While walking in a local park with my wife I came upon a small wild flower I have not seen before. The flower has a bulbous body with petals coming out of the end. It looks like a white campion from what I can find on line. It is supposed to be a common wild flower, but it is definitely not common around here. I’ve lived in this area for over 50 years and I have never seen one before. The only patch of them I have found here was at the base of an oak tree.

View attachment 2154345

View attachment 2154344

I walked around the high school parking lot and found 9 pennies, 2 dimes and a nickel. I went into the convenience store and found a dollar bill on the floor, a dime and a penny on the floor at the market and a penny in the coinstar. I also found a couple of dimes while walking on Main Street. A better week for eyeball coins than usual.

View attachment 2154351

3 silvers and gas money makes a good week. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Nice finds, and pictures thanks for sharing with us :)

Looks like you have been working hard! Congrats on all your finds. The fact that your buffalo nickel has a readable date is amazing. Mine seldom do... Also, thanks for the nature pics. Very nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back