9.25" octagon gun barrel??? Where did this originally belong?

centark

Greenie
Feb 22, 2011
9.25" octagon gun barrel??? Where did this originally belong?

Any ideas as to what this barrel belonged back in the day?

Here are some pics after my first attempt at electrolysis... anyone know of a good inexpensive machine to do this? I've tried two different types of battery chargers and a educational machine from our science class that even controls the amount of DC output... this machine started smoking but the bubble action was incredible from this machine!

The two noticable features on the barrel are on opposite sides of the octagon: the indention is near the end and the other is a little more than halfway down toward the other end...

What about caliber? If I were to tap on a AAA battery very hard, It would probably fit... ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0427.jpg
    IMG_0427.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 718
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 701
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 689
  • IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 734
  • IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 687
  • IMG_0418.jpg
    IMG_0418.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 680
  • IMG_6822.jpg
    IMG_6822.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_6819.jpg
    IMG_6819.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_6820.jpg
    IMG_6820.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_6821.jpg
    IMG_6821.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 600
Re: 9.5" octagon gun barrel???

Could be, can tell more after Electro. My fav was the Henry Repeater :headbang: but they are on a lot of Firearms, from Rifles to Handguns.

Attachments

• GM%20901650%20Octagon%20BBL.jpg
    GM%20901650%20Octagon%20BBL.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 810
  • DSC_0125.jpg
    DSC_0125.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 894
Upvote 0
Re: 9.5" octagon gun barrel???

Looks like someone cut down a rifle and you found the left over part. If it were a complete barrel you'd expect to see threads on one end where it mounted to the frame of the gun. Cool Find!

Upvote 0
Re: 9.25" octagon gun barrel??? Where did this originally belong?

centark said:
Any ideas as to what this barrel belonged back in the day?

Here are some pics after my first attempt at electrolysis... anyone know of a good inexpensive machine to do this? I've tried two different types of battery chargers and a educational machine from our science class that even controls the amount of DC output... this machine started smoking but the bubble action was incredible from this machine!

The two noticable features on the barrel are on opposite sides of the octagon: the indention is near the end and the other is a little more than halfway down toward the other end...

What about caliber? If I were to tap on a AAA battery very hard, It would probably fit... ;)
I have used a 12V battery charger with success. Bubbles are good.

I cant find my micrometer. Someone needs to mic a battery for the caliber.

Upvote 0

AA battery is approx. .571 inches.

Upvote 0

If it's a complete barrel it could be from a Patterson Colt revolver.

Upvote 0

DigginThePast said:
Thanks. I think that means its a large caliber muzzleloader rifle such as .58 caliber. Too large for a pistol. Where are the bullet people?

I dont know who would cut 9 inches off a rifle barrel. :icon_scratch: Maybe it exploded. The noticable features could be for the site and the opposite feature for the wedge piece that holds the barrel to the wood. I forget the proper name.

Attachments

• site wedge.jpg
    site wedge.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 1,055
Upvote 0

bigcypresshunter said:
DigginThePast said:
Thanks. I think that means its a large caliber muzzleloader rifle such as .58 caliber. Too large for a pistol. Where are the bullet people?

I dont know who would cut 9 inches off a rifle barrel. Maybe it exploded. :icon_scratch:

Probably was just cut off the muzzle end off a rifle. Damaged or maybe they just felt the modification would help to repurpose an old gun. :dontknow: I'd be surprised if anything more definitive could be determined from that relic, unless markings are found under that rust.

Or perhaps some poor old hunter got tired of being yelled at for having his uber long Kentucky Rifle knocking everything over when going in and out of the house and he just lopped it off. :laughing7: :laughing7:

Upvote 0

A barrel can explode from a blockage or a bullet not packed down but its more likely to be cut I suppose. Where was it found?

My Mountain Rifle was pretty long and it did have 2 wedges so I suppose 9 inches could have been cut off and the 1 wedge pin would hold it to the stock.. But it would hurt the accuracy.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• kentucky rifle .58 cal.jpg
    kentucky rifle .58 cal.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 1,462
Upvote 0

He showed it with a AAA battery so it would be smaller than .58 Cal. I'd guess .36 would be closer and the Pattersons had 7.5, 9 and 12 inch barrels.

Upvote 0

My electrolosis power source is a train transformer I bought at a flea market for a buck. Works just fine. make sure the bubbles are coming from the rusty peice when you turn it on. If not you have your wires hooked up backwards. Another great method for rusty iron & steel that I use all the time and is never mentioned here is a 5 gallon bucket of water with 2 jars of "Grandmas Molasses" disolved in it. You can get it at most any grocery store or buy it in bulk at feed stores. the Phosphoric acid eats rust without any damage to the metal. Drop that barrell in a bucket of molasses & water and leave it for a week and you'll be amazed at how easy the rust comes off. Do it outdoors though. It stinks. I only use it on ferrous metals and have been told it will attack aluminum.

Upvote 0

:BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :laughing7:

Looked an awful lot like an AA in the pic. He does say AAA in the text.

AAA is .413, and .41 caliber rifles were produced.

Upvote 0

Hey guys thanks for all the interest! It wasn't a AA. But a AAA which is much smaller... Does that change your opinion on the possibility of it being a pistol barrel?

Upvote 0

centark said:
Hey guys thanks for all the interest! It wasn't a AA. But a AAA which is much smaller... Does that change your opinion on the possibility of it being a pistol barrel?
yes lol. :D Could still be rifle. Maybe we can tell by the postion of the wedge. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

centark - Still could be either at this point. As Bubba suggested, it could be a Patterson also.

Can you explain or better yet, post another photo that clearly shows the location of the two things I've circled from your pics above.

Attachments

• barrel.JPG
    barrel.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 597
Upvote 0

okay, the indention starts at 1" from the end of the barrel and the center of the raised up spot is right at 4" from that same end...

thanks for all your replies guys!

Upvote 0

It can't be from a patterson revolver, the shape is all wrong. I'm leaning toward cut rifle. There are a lot of reasons people cut rifle barrels, damage certainly being the most common. Outlaws sometimes cut them down as well to make them easier to conceal, and more manageable on horseback, or in close quarters. I'm going to go WAY out on a limb and guess Model 1874 .40 cal Sharps, but it may never really be known for certain.

Attachments

• patterson.jpg
    patterson.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 737
Upvote 0

centark said:
okay, the indention starts at 1" from the end of the barrel and the center of the raised up spot is right at 4" from that same end...

thanks for all your replies guys!
The indentation at one inch may be the dovetail slot for the rifle site as posted earlier. The sites were hammered in. I dont think a pistol has this, only a bead. The raised spot may be whats left of the tenon for the wedge or maybe for the ramrod. So it still looks like .40, .41 or maybe even a .45 caliber rifle.

Attachments

• site wedge.jpg
    site wedge.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 791
  • barrel tenon wedge.jpg
    barrel tenon wedge.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 813
  • IMG_6822.jpg
    IMG_6822.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 537
  • site wedge.jpg
    site wedge.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 774
  • IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 522
Upvote 0

Alternatively, it could be from a cut down Kentucky or Pennsylvania rifle since they were commonly made in the smaller calibres like .36 and .40. It was fairly common for them to be cut down when passed on to youngsters.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back