6 year old Explorer vs new Sov GT

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a used Explorer for sale. It's represented to be low use excellent condition. Asking $700.

How does this machine compare to a new Sovereign GT in capability? The machine needs to handle NJ's wet salt sand and be a decent land hunter. Power box doesn't have to be waterproof.

What is a fair price for a used Explorer?

I know the GT's reputation, but know little about the Explorer. All feedback is greatly appreciated.

I'd Choose the sovereign

Although the Explorer is More sensitive

Sovereigns Rock :headbang:

Tops IMO $500 for the explorer unless it has Extras.
(Sunray Probe, Extra Coils)

Which explorer, which coil, and what comes with it? Not possible to answer your question without that info..

If your one of the ones that likes to look at screens get the Explorer. But I would choose the Sov GT for the wet sand and depth without having a screen lie to me.

Sandman said:
If your one of the ones that likes to look at screens get the Explorer. But I would choose the Sov GT for the wet sand and depth without having a screen lie to me.

For that top make sense both would have to have the same guts, and they don't. I use an explorer but don't look at the screen and the Sov. could definitely not replace it. Apples and oranges.

Never used the Explorer so I can't say about it other then I have heard great things, but I do own 2 Sov GTs, the SOV GT can not be beat on the wet salt sand at the beach, it is not waterproof so you can't get much deeper then knee deep on a calm day, it is also a good land detector.....

THX for the input, keep'em coming.

It's an Explorer II. Not sure of the coil or extra's. Only know it is represented to be in excellent condition.

I already own a GT and agree it is a great machine. However, I've never used an Explorer and don't know how it stacks up - on the beach and elsewhere. Plus is a 6 year old Explorer II the same as a newer model?

The one for sale for $550, where?

Done deal. The new detector was for my brother. He picked up a new Sovereign GT today. The Explorer II was in great condition, however the dealer Demarco Metal Detector Sales, gave him such a good price on the GT it didn't make sense to buy the Explorer.

THX again for the help

About the screen i would say that 99% who have a screen watch it ........ No matter how much they say i don't watch the screen....................... They just can't help but to look at the screen..........

Keppy said:
About the screen i would say that 99% who have a screen watch it ........ No matter how much they say i don't watch the screen....................... They just can't help but to look at the screen..........

Well I'm in the 1% because I don't use it at all. A number means nothing to me because I know by the sound if I going t dig or not. When good finds come in anywhere what would be the point to look anyway? It would make no sense where I hunt.

Putting the price aside, in this case there were utility factors that weighed in on the beep and dig side of the equation. The Explorer comes with a healthy learning curve that the GT does not. One needs to learn not only the meaning of the beeps, gurgles, a burps, but also all the numbers and symbols. As well, one must learn what screen to use in what situation. To top it off there are practical considerations. Visibility in bright sunlight, and for us old guys, the need to wear glasses while hunting.

An E-trac or Explorer is on my list of future detectors, but for now beep and dig works just fine for me. And, it will work just as well for my new trainee. Learning how to read the beeps is mystery enough for a new guy. So, the nod went to the GT in this situation.

tjc45 said:
Putting the price aside, in this case there were utility factors that weighed in on the beep and dig side of the equation. The Explorer comes with a healthy learning curve that the GT does not. One needs to learn not only the meaning of the beeps, gurgles, a burps, but also all the numbers and symbols. As well, one must learn what screen to use in what situation. To top it off there are practical considerations. Visibility in bright sunlight, and for us old guys, the need to wear glasses while hunting.

An E-trac or Explorer is on my list of future detectors, but for now beep and dig works just fine for me. And, it will work just as well for my new trainee. Learning how to read the beeps is mystery enough for a new guy. So, the nod went to the GT in this situation.
That's great you spend more time on what your screen says than diggin.......... I'll take the tones and dig more than you........... That screen knows how to waste you hunting time...........Give me the tones....

Iron Patch said:
Keppy said:

Well I'm in the 1% because I don't use it at all. A number means nothing to me because I know by the sound if I going t dig or not. When good finds come in anywhere what would be the point to look anyway? It would make no sense where I hunt.
I am right there with you IronPatch. The more I use this machine, the less I look at the screen. Of course most of the sites I hunt are old and every decent signal better get dug. It is amazing how not just the tone, but the way the tone hits, lets you know ahead of time that it is going to be good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back