Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In case you didn't know... gold marked 585 is 58.5% gold, or 14k ! I've gotten a few items this year marked 585, and I thought they were trash πŸ§πŸ˜³πŸ’© but, it turns out there good stuff and the same as 14k !! Wood hooo !!
20240610_173749.jpg

Here's a good explanation of the mark and how it's used....now I've got to round up all the 585 I threw in the costume jewelry jar !!πŸ€‘

Upvote 26
Just like Florida there are does and don't, and hunting historic sites and shipwrecks is off limits....hunting beaches from low to high tide and certain water areas is fine and many do !! I personally have never been questioned, but others have had problems....but lots of people detect the Bahamas....I only speak for myself.
THANK YOU !!

THANK YOU !!
One thing to consider is high prices at Atlantis resort, 600$ a night is average and can run much higher for more lavish accommodations is what I've read. If you stay off site there is a fee to get on property used to be 50$ for a day pass...could be more now ? Also if you watch the videos I've posted you can see the first guy got stuck in the unrecoverable zone....the deep sand is a trap, and will only produce aluminum bits a foot or more down....look for light sand over rock/reef for best results. The girl in the other videos has it down, and is snorkel hunting....a sand scoop is useless in these conditions, and you will have to dive down to make recoveries....if you watch her, she fans the sand with her foot/flipper, or her hands....this is the best method here. It takes practice, and a deep breath....being able to hold your breath for a minute + helps. If you read carefully I've given the exact location that is the best to hunt on this vast beach...."the COVE" This is a separate area of rooms geared to the young party crowd, and adjoins the more family oriented area of the resort...it has floating pads that are moored to the bottom that people swim out to. This is the "GOLD MINE" The vast area directly in front of Atlantis holds many treasures, but is a high surf zone and is rarely huntable except on the calmest of days, and again its a deep sand trap. The "cove" is much better protected and yields much much more....you will see all sorts of fish and marine life including Barracuda...be prepared to be surrounded by fish !!
Screenshot_20240617_070853_Maps.jpg
Screenshot_20240617_070958_Maps.jpg
if you concentrate your efforts in the water at the blue circled areas...you will be rewarded...especially at the blue circled area in the last photo...where the sand meets reef in that shot is most productive at the moment and hundreds if not thousands of people a week are in the water here....lots of trash, but lots of gold, silver, and platinum also !! Water and waves can cover and expose rock and reef anywhere along these beaches overnight...so keep your eyes open for white freshly exposed rock that has no growth on it this is the sign of fresh erosion and is most productive πŸ‘Œ the scoop will not work here...at all !! It's not quite as easy as it seems, and it's taken me years of hunting this area to learn these techniques and tips....if it's rough, or there's surge you will have to do dry sand....August is best...long days and calm seas !! Also there is 18th, and 19th century artifacts here too so dig everything....the pirates frequented this area, and a Cobb coin is possible!! Now you have all the secrets, and please show us what you find if you make the trip !! This is advanced level underwater hunting !! I'm blessed to work in the yachting/fishing industry and we frequent this resort often...so I'm lucky in the since that all my expenses are paid and I have full access in my freetime....that's a big factor for me and my success here.
Good luck !!
Ps...if you zoom into the last photo, you'll see the floating mats that are circled in blue...this area is hot for finds and yields the most...people traffic is high between shore and these floats !

I think if anyone is going to attempt hunting this spot they should absolutely read @bigscoop Thread 'The Biggest Secret In Metal Detecting!' https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/the-biggest-secret-in-metal-detecting.698582/
This information is essential for success in this deep sand environment. You must find the areas that are light sand over rock for success here !! We islanders call this ideal condition...."DUST OVER CRUST"....this means light sand, no more than a foot, over cap rock !! The gold is bottomed out and trapped on the rock under the light sand. If the sand is deeper than 2 feet the gold is in the unrecoverable zone, and your hole will keep collapsing on itself. At this point you will only find the freshest of drops....gold and heavies will sink to unrecoverable depths overnight with wave and surf action @bigscoop speaks the truth on this subject!!

I think if anyone is going to attempt hunting this spot they should absolutely read @bigscoop Thread 'The Biggest Secret In Metal Detecting!' https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/the-biggest-secret-in-metal-detecting.698582/
This information is essential for success in this deep sand environment. You must find the areas that are light sand over rock for success here !! We islanders call this ideal condition...."DUST OVER CRUST"....this means light sand, no more than a foot, over cap rock !! The gold is bottomed out and trapped on the rock under the light sand. If the sand is deeper than 2 feet the gold is in the unrecoverable zone, and your hole will keep collapsing on itself. At this point you will only find the freshest of drops....gold and heavies will sink to unrecoverable depths overnight with wave and surf action @bigscoop speaks the truth on this subject!!
Thats right... dont try for the deep gold......... leave it for someone else........... like me :)

Thats right... dont try for the deep gold......... leave it for someone else........... like me :)
No you just wait for the erosion to make it recoverable...and then boom you score !! That's why I circled the spot that has the freshest erosion that's the hot spot now....the gold is building up in the other spots as we speak...one good blow, and it's a 5 ring day in a 50 ft area, and my current hot spot has 4 feet of fresh sand over it and has become the new "unrecoverable" zone. Constant big surf, and shifting sands change the zone every week here....it truly is a challenge...go get it....I've learned that if your not ultra experienced in this area you will leave empty handed !! That's why I can give all the secrets out, and still know that only 1 in 20 hunters will have the experience needed to make the finds. Always seems easy until you get there. Your better off walking the dry sand desert and hunting that if your not used to snorkel hunting...the scoop is useless in the reef and light sand !!

I've hunted the cove before Atlantis was built...it used to be the merv Griffen resort hotel....the center of the first cove is littered with debri from the demolition of this old hotel, and is another no go area because of rebar trash and debri from the 70s 80s. I watched Atlantis resort get built and have hunted these beaches since day one !! There are 2 wrecks 1800s just offshore also....it's an incredible place, and when you finally find the zone, or a pocket it's incredible....but if your off in the deep sand....you will be disappointed....Bahamian beaches are a complete different animal than Florida beaches!!

No you just wait for the erosion to make it recoverable...and then boom you score !! That's why I circled the spot that has the freshest erosion that's the hot spot now....the gold is building up in the other spots as we speak...one good blow, and it's a 5 ring day in a 50 ft area, and my current hot spot has 4 feet of fresh sand over it and has become the new "unrecoverable" zone. Constant big surf, and shifting sands change the zone every week here....it truly is a challenge...go get it....I've learned that if your not ultra experienced in this area you will leave empty handed !! That's why I can give all the secrets out, and still know that only 1 in 20 hunters will have the experience needed to make the finds. Always seems easy until you get there. Your better off walking the dry sand desert and hunting that if your not used to snorkel hunting...the scoop is useless in the reef and light sand !!
Perhaps you missed my posts in the very early years of me being on T Net....

My absolute favorite time to detect IS.........

approaching - right before....................... during.......................... and RIGHT after.....

A storm.

The key to that door is...... timing is everything.... and let someone else do the clearing and digging......
Like.......
Mother Nature Herself.

Perhaps you missed my posts in the very early years of me being on T Net....

My absolute favorite time to detect IS.........

approaching - right before....................... during.......................... and RIGHT after.....

A storm.

The key to that door is...... timing is everything.... and let someone else do the clearing and digging......
Like.......
Mother Nature Herself.
Yes...of course...the problem for me is I can't time my hunts in the Bahamas, I'm at the will and schedule of my boss and work travels....I must make the best of my time there in what ever mother nature has left me when I arrive....so I have to scout for these conditions and indicators when I'm there....3 days of hunting before I found the zone....on day 4 I made 60% of my recoveries by being in the best area that mother nature had left me....it took 2 scouting days at the beginning of my trip, and then I had to leve for other islands....upon my return to Atlantis 3 weeks later I was able to have 2 more days hunting. It wasn't until my last day there that I found that sweet spot, and conditions were ideal with calm seas, and no surge grinding me in the rocks !! And then boom baby !! Multiple rings, and giant frog braclet !! 4 days ARC !!
1000000663.jpg
20240615_131945.jpg

20240615_132641.jpg

Most of the heavier gold and platinum came on day 4...it took that long to water hunt the whole area and find that sweet mother nature made spot with all the good stuff.

Yep. And it took me long time and a lot of coaching from some of the best in the game before I finally accepted this undeniable fact of treasure hunting, and especially true of "old gold and silver" VS "modern recent drops."

When I was living on the east coast of Florida and hunting it every day all of this became painfully apparent in the summer when those deep summer sands invaded the beach and shallows. Despite all of that area now being shoulder to shoulder and packed with tourist and extremely heavy summer traffic my gold and silver recoveries rapidly diminished VS the winter seasons when all of that summer sand is once again stripped from the beach and shallows. Suddenly I'm hitting shell-pack again and my rate of good recoveries would go straight up by leaps and bounds.

Now I'm up north and hunting freshwater lakes and land, yet this same principle still applies and it's still serving me well and bringing me consistent success. "It is the key to consistent success wherever one detects."

For those who still doubt this cold hard fact and truth.......

Ever wonder why a handful of detectorist have experienced an exceptional rate of success over a long period of years while others still struggle? Now remember, these same folks have managed this regardless the machines they have used, some of these dating clear back to old analog technologies and yet these same folks were still killing it year in and year out. How are they managing this? What are they doing differently?

The answer, their secret, is really quite simple. β€œThey don't waste their time detecting over targets that are too deep to be detected and recovered.” Instead, β€œThey keep their coils over those accessible firm bottoms and/or ground that can support those denser and heavier metals.”

β€œThis is their one and only true advantage, their secret to consistent success.” It's not the machine because they have used many, both old and new over a long period of years. Virgin properties and beaches? Nope, as many of their recoveries over the years have come from the same lands and beaches being detected by those who are still struggling. But when do they choose to detect these same areas? They wait until some event has taken place that allows them to get their coils closer to those collections of deep targets, which is those firmer bottoms.

You see, a recent drop hunter is only ever going to have access to recent drops, which in the much bigger picture don't really happen all that often. On the other side of this, however, those β€œold gold” hunters will have access to it all, both recent drops and those really old targets that have accumulated over the years on those firmer bottoms.

So instead of always demanding deeper machines, these consistently successful detectorist flip that demand on its head and demand, β€œaccessible closer targets.” And that's it, their simple secret to constant success. As a result, they detect less and recover more regardless the technology in their hand, as has been clearly established by their long history of success and that long history of machines used.

β€œThey never rely on blind luck!”

This is what I learned from them and it has proven a priceless education.

This priceless information should appear in every machine maker's user manual. :thumbsup:

Ever wonder why a handful of detectorist have experienced an exceptional rate of success over a long period of years while others still struggle? Now remember, these same folks have managed this regardless the machines they have used, some of these dating clear back to old analog technologies and yet these same folks were still killing it year in and year out. How are they managing this? What are they doing differently?

The answer, their secret, is really quite simple. β€œThey don't waste their time detecting over targets that are too deep to be detected and recovered.” Instead, β€œThey keep their coils over those accessible firm bottoms and/or ground that can support those denser and heavier metals.”

β€œThis is their one and only true advantage, their secret to consistent success.” It's not the machine because they have used many, both old and new over a long period of years. Virgin properties and beaches? Nope, as many of their recoveries over the years have come from the same lands and beaches being detected by those who are still struggling. But when do they choose to detect these same areas? They wait until some event has taken place that allows them to get their coils closer to those collections of deep targets, which is those firmer bottoms.

You see, a recent drop hunter is only ever going to have access to recent drops, which in the much bigger picture don't really happen all that often. On the other side of this, however, those β€œold gold” hunters will have access to it all, both recent drops and those really old targets that have accumulated over the years on those firmer bottoms.

So instead of always demanding deeper machines, these consistently successful detectorist flip that demand on its head and demand, β€œaccessible closer targets.” And that's it, their simple secret to constant success. As a result, they detect less and recover more regardless the technology in their hand, as has been clearly established by their long history of success and that long history of machines used.

This priceless information should appear in every machine maker's user manual. :thumbsup:
That's it...that's the secret...very well said @bigscoop. Absolutely the game changer for me !! Identifying these areas is key to more success !!

In case you didn't know... gold marked 585 is 58.5% gold, or 14k ! I've gotten a few items this year marked 585, and I thought they were trash πŸ§πŸ˜³πŸ’© but, it turns out there good stuff and the same as 14k !! Wood hooo !!
View attachment 2153519
Here's a good explanation of the mark and how it's used....now I've got to round up all the 585 I threw in the costume jewelry jar !!πŸ€‘

I wonder why jewelry companies don't just use 14K?

I wonder why jewelry companies don't just use 14K?
Keeps us on our toes over here, but Bill I think it's more a European opposed to an American thing...I guess it's the norm over across the pond to use the numbers...417, 585, 750 etc etc.

Similar I think to metric vs standard measurements πŸ€”πŸ€”

Another thing to remember is the rate of recoveries !! Think about the logic and common sense of what I'm about to say πŸ€” if you must insist on hunting in the deep sand, then you must except the fact that you will be digging deeper to retrieve your target!! So it will obviously take more scoops, more handfuls, more shovel fulls to reach that deep target....am I right ?? each target may take 5,10, or even 15 more minutes to reach than a shallow target that can't sink past 10-12 inches before it hits a rock or a reef barrier. So I'm able to quickly "flip" targets when they are only a few sweeps of the hand deep !! I may be able to retrieve double, triple, or even 4 times as many targets as the person that digs, and digs, and digs on the same difficult deep targets?? So...if it takes you 4 scoops with a sand scoop to get your target, and it's only a few sweeps of the sand for me to retrieve my much shallower target....I'm obviously going to retrieve more targets...good, bad, or GOLD !! so now it's really getting unfair in comparison.....I'm retrieving more targets, at a quicker rate, and with a better chance of higher quality targets !! This quicker retrieval rate really let's me make it look easy because I'm getting 65 coins to 10 coins...I'm getting 4 rings to 1 ring....im getting a gold target for every 50 to 100 targets retrieved, and others get no gold because they just haven't got the number of flipped targets to beat that number game were all playing. So by flipping more targets in a better area for heavies I'm increasing my chances for a precious metal target by just increasing my rate of recovery. If I flip 100 targets a day, and the other guy only flips 40 targets a day...who has a better chance of winning the odds game ?? Like @bigscoop says....it's the greatest secret in metal detecting.....any way you slice it !! πŸ˜‰ so go give it a try....this is why the gold panners and nugget snipers like the bedrock....the gold just can't go any deeper when it's trapped against bedrock !!

Another thing to remember is the rate of recoveries !! Think about the logic and common sense of what I'm about to say πŸ€” if you must insist on hunting in the deep sand, then you must except the fact that you will be digging deeper to retrieve your target!! So it will obviously take more scoops, more handfuls, more shovel fulls to reach that deep target....am I right ?? each target may take 5,10, or even 15 more minutes to reach than a shallow target that can't sink past 10-12 inches before it hits a rock or a reef barrier. So I'm able to quickly "flip" targets when they are only a few sweeps of the hand deep !! I may be able to retrieve double, triple, or even 4 times as many targets as the person that digs, and digs, and digs on the same difficult deep targets?? So...if it takes you 4 scoops with a sand scoop to get your target, and it's only a few sweeps of the sand for me to retrieve my much shallower target....I'm obviously going to retrieve more targets...good, bad, or GOLD !! so now it's really getting unfair in comparison.....I'm retrieving more targets, at a quicker rate, and with a better chance of higher quality targets !! This quicker retrieval rate really let's me make it look easy because I'm getting 65 coins to 10 coins...I'm getting 4 rings to 1 ring....im getting a gold target for every 50 to 100 targets retrieved, and others get no gold because they just haven't got the number of flipped targets to beat that number game were all playing. So by flipping more targets in a better area for heavies I'm increasing my chances for a precious metal target by just increasing my rate of recovery. If I flip 100 targets a day, and the other guy only flips 40 targets a day...who has a better chance of winning the odds game ?? Like @bigscoop says....it's the greatest secret in metal detecting.....any way you slice it !! πŸ˜‰ so go give it a try....this is why the gold panners and nugget snipers like the bedrock....the gold just can't go any deeper when it's trapped against bedrock !!
One of the first and basic principles of panning, diamond sifting, garnet sifting, etc., etc. The heavier particles always settle at the bottom!

Thank you bill....I haven't posted much this summer but the Bahamas, and especially at Atlantis resort was sensational. Silver gold and platinum were good for the short time I was thereView attachment 2153995
Can you just freely detect n the beach at Atlantis? Is it like Hawaii where everyone has access to the beach? I have a Deus and I'm not familiar with detecting on saltwater but it's on my bucket list. I know that detecting on saltwater beaches is trickier than other terrain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back