50th Large Copper of the Year- A Sweet NJ!

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I found myself fighting a nap at a bandmate's house this evening before a gig,
so I got out into the increasingly cooler air to wake myself up and look for some
dirty pennies. I've found maybe three or four coppers in this yard this year, but
the signals are, for the most part, deep and uninteresting- lots of disturbed land,
and lots of tinfoil.
After about 20 minutes, I got a signal that I knew was gonna be number 50.
Haven't found any older coppers at this site, so I didn't have my hopes up,
but I was very pleased when I got inside and in the light to see that I'd unearthed
my second ever New Jersey copper here in upstate New York. Sweet!
Here she is, medal turn, and with a fair amount of detail- should be able to get this one
ID'ed fairly easily...

Attachments

• img045-1.jpg
    img045-1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,095
  • img046-1.jpg
    img046-1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,104
Upvote 0
nice find!!!! MR TUFF

congrats on # 50! quite an accomplishment :thumbsup:

steelheadwill said:
Congrats on the medallic! are all NJs this way? :dontknow:

i don't know, either.
i've only found one other nj here in ny, and it has a regular coin turn.
now i'm curious...

HEAVYMETALNUT said:
congrats on # 50! quite an accomplishment :thumbsup:

thanks, man. it's been a good year. :headbang:

edit: here's some more cleaned up pics.

Attachments

• img047-1.jpg
    img047-1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 798
  • img048-1.jpg
    img048-1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 827
Big congrats on your 50th copper for the year and finding you second NJ copper. I am now 99% certain the coin is a 1786 Maris 12-G variety, Rarity 5, and the first one out of approx 450 coppers in the survey of that variety! :hello2: I checked my 20 NJ coppers and none are medal turn, but some are up to 30* off from coin turn, so I do not think medal turn is too unusual, but am annotating that your coppers is and maybe one of my collecting buddies will say if unusual or not, but again, I do not think so.

Attaching a comparison photo of yours versus the one on coinfacts page.
Don

Attachments

• 1786 M.12-G comparison.jpg
    1786 M.12-G comparison.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 914
Nice find, you are in the right neck of the woods to find one. :headbang:

Dwayne, Congrats on the big Five-O! Just goes to prove they are still out here if put the time in - and live in the right part of the country :laughing7: I would rather dig a NJ copper than take a nap any day ;D

Don in SJ said:
Big congrats on your 50th copper for the year and finding you second NJ copper. I am now 99% certain the coin is a 1786 Maris 12-G variety, Rarity 5, and the first one out of approx 450 coppers in the survey of that variety! :hello2: I checked my 20 NJ coppers and none are medal turn, but some are up to 30* off from coin turn, so I do not think medal turn is too unusual, but am annotating that your coppers is and maybe one of my collecting buddies will say if unusual or not, but again, I do not think so.

Attaching a comparison photo of yours versus the one on coinfacts page.
Don
Thanks for the info Don!
since I couldn't get any search results I figured they were supposed to be coinstruck,
I especially like errors and counterfeits, (who doesn't :dontknow: )
my last half cent was about 20% rotation :laughing7:
There's a lot of contemporary NJ CFs out there from dies cut in 2004, they have been overstruck on period coppers to look more authentic.
http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/new_jersey_coppers/new_jersey_coppers.htm
Congrats again on # 50, Mr Sway-No :hello2:

Medal Turn - I got a reply from a couple of the top collectors and experts on Colonial Coins and as expected, well maybe not this answer as expected but I was told that it appears that all 1786 Maris 12-G's were medal turn.

Don

Don in SJ said:
Medal Turn - I got a reply from a couple of the top collectors and experts on Colonial Coins and as expected, well maybe not this answer as expected but I was told that it appears that all 1786 Maris 12-G's were medal turn.

Don

Don, your'e the man! :notworthy:
Thanks so much for your help with this one.
Glad I could add a variety to your survey.

Dwayne

nice. I wish I could find stuff like that here :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

oh yeah baby WTG!

:hello2:

Congratulations!! Large cents are great but I have always been partial to those state coppers. Looking forward to many more posts and pics of your awesome finds!!
HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back