$5 James M. Sessions war painting at a yard sale

keepsake

Mar 29, 2009
east central Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi- Long time looker first time poster- I found this original water color at a yard sale a couple of years ago and thought I'd share it with you. These photos are from a scanning I had done before it was reframed. The picture measures 24" x 20". I have never been able to get a decent pic since it was put under glass- too much reflection. My local framer/art appraiser said she thought it was worth between $2,500 and $4,000 but, since none of James Sessions war paintings had ever come up for sale, she could'nt be sure. Anyone know the true value of this???

Attachments

• P2150016.JPG
    P2150016.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 890
  • P2150019.JPG
    P2150019.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,067
  • P2150018.JPG
    P2150018.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 530
If none have been sold then there's nothing to compare it to for value meaning it would be impossible to make an "educated" guess... In this case, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it but I don't see the given estimates being far off because of the beautiful work and subject matter. Nice finds

Thanks Diggummup- I thought the "war paintings" might have some extra value as opposed to his normal paintings of harbor scenes which fall in range I was told. Actually, I'm kind of surprised the selling price was so low. But, still not a bad return on a five dollar investment! Thanks again for your effort. I was not able to find that sales record.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back