4th of July find

eppingera

Aug 29, 2012

Attachments

• image-3653326407.jpg
    image-3653326407.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 0
Thats nice! Im liking the flaking on that one.

Nice one.. you may want to hunt that creek with points in mind.
Its easy to miss them when you have your eyes trained on fossils.

Nice one.. you may want to hunt that creek with points in mind.
Its easy to miss them when you have your eyes trained on fossils.

That's very true. It is a whole different type of searching. Once she found that one we switched to arrowhead mode! Only found a broken blade though, nothing else. There are huge rock bars so it is hard to spot the proverbial needle in a haystack in this creek, however the black point stood out so well from the other rocks that she spotted it easily. Black is unusual in our area.
Any ideas on type or age? Found in near Williamsburg, MO

It's a very nice one.. The flaking style looks familiar to me.
I'm not real good with your area But I will look it up and at least give you some of what I think are possiblities that you can check into.
Jackie comes to mind without looking it up.. but that's just guessing. 6-8 thousand BP.
Can you take a photo of the other side also.. I'm trying to see clearly if that is a stem on that point.

It's a very nice one.. The flaking style looks familiar to me.
I'm not real good with your area But I will look it up and at least give you some of what I think are possiblities that you can check into.
Jackie comes to mind without looking it up.. but that's just guessing. 6-8 thousand BP.
Can you take a photo of the other side also.. I'm trying to see clearly if that is a stem on that point.

Thanks! Here is the only picture I got of the other side. Probably not very helpful since my finger is right in the way... I can ask my sister to send some pics to me.

Attachments

• image-1278156387.jpg
    image-1278156387.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 96
Here are a few more pics. Damage on the one side, might have a hard time with an ID?

Attachments

• image-3605511655.jpg
    image-3605511655.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 87
  • image-1823048292.jpg
    image-1823048292.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 90
I'm having a tough time with that one.. the way the pressure flaking gets interrupted on the lower section makes it appear like a broken tip that had a few flakes removed after the fact and was utilized that way.. possibly as a blade.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge of your area will chime in.. either way I love the material and it's a nice addition to a days fossil hunting that's for sure.
If it is just a broken tip it's impossible to say exactly what it might have been.. but just for speculations sake .. the flaking style and shape looks reminiscent of Scottsbluff points.
Here is one from Missouri that appears to be the same material.

ScottsbluffMontgomery.jpeg

I wouldnt be afraid to call Dalton on it myself. Looks like it had little legs on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back