300 year old halfpenny

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had some play time before work yesterday so I decided to hit one of my old permissions. It had given many interesting trinkets over the years. I maxed out all the settings on my Deus 2 and went really slow on wet ground. The site lite up again! Most items are about 300 years old. The horse rosette came out with a large piece of iron. Does anyone here know what the iron piece is called? Also found was a half of a musket ball with some type of design on it. I have the other half of the sleeve button with the cross from 2 years ago. It was nice to be back in the ZONE!
group 1.jpg
group3.jpg

Upvote 21

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max international
Garrett AT Gold
Radio Shack MICRONTA 3001
AT propointer
34'' Bushpro stainless steel tree planters shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had some play time before work yesterday so I decided to hit one of my old permissions. It had given many interesting trinkets over the years. I maxed out all the settings on my Deus 2 and went really slow on wet ground. The site lite up again! Most items are about 300 years old. The horse rosette came out with a large piece of iron. Does anyone here know what the iron piece is called? Also found was a half of a musket ball with some type of design on it. I have the other half of the sleeve button with the cross from 2 years ago. It was nice to be back in the ZONE! View attachment 2121455 View attachment 2121456
Is the musket ball magnetic at all? If a double shot was loaded with wadding ram rod may leave an impression on last ball loaded. Was asked by an archaeologist if a fired and impacted projectile i had showed him once was magnetic because he was curious if there was a piece of wire inside. Never learned exactly why he had asked question, but imagine the ball was attached to another via piece of wire. Awesome and interesting finds!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Must really suck to be digging 300 yr old stuff up. :laughing7:
Well done! Congrats
The iron piece kind of reminds me of a Draw knife/wood shave

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those coppers are sweet!! Nothing like hitting spots that you've hit before and having them produce so well- Congrats!

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Is the musket ball magnetic at all? If a double shot was loaded with wadding ram rod may leave an impression on last ball loaded. Was asked by an archaeologist if a fired and impacted projectile i had showed him once was magnetic because he was curious if there was a piece of wire inside. Never learned exactly why he had asked question, but imagine the ball was attached to another via piece of wire. Awesome and interesting finds!
Now there is a perfectly nasty idea for shotgun shell reloaders. Cast a bunch of shot balls of your fav variety in a mold system that allows a very strong wire between them. Imagine the web of cutting that would cast. So what if some broke apart? they would be tantamount to razor edges spinning their merry way into the target. I gotta do this! And I say this is my copyright and patent, so dun git no funny ideas :)

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now there is a perfectly nasty idea for shotgun shell reloaders. Cast a bunch of shot balls of your fav variety in a mold system that allows a very strong wire between them. Imagine the web of cutting that would cast. So what if some broke apart? they would be tantamount to razor edges spinning their merry way into the target. I gotta do this! And I say this is my copyright and patent, so dun git no funny ideas :)
lol, Don't forget to put it on You Tube!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Why do I have an image of
Screenshot_20231221_195434_Google.jpg

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do I have an image of
View attachment 2121518
Not the greatest way to make a sawed off.. And great point! hopfully https://www.treasurenet.com/members/conceptualizednetherlandr.81623/ see's this reply before filing his patent.. Reminds me of a vid series on You Tube called 'Hands' where old Smithing and building tecniques are showcased. One vid is about the making of original Black Powder muskets, and if i remember correctly, they are tested before sale by a 5x charge overload and firing..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_O1-chxAdk&pp=ygULZ3Vuc21pdGhpbmc%3D

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not the greatest way to make a sawed off.. And great point! hopfully https://www.treasurenet.com/members/conceptualizednetherlandr.81623/ see's this reply before filing his patent.. Reminds me of a vid series on You Tube called 'Hands' where old Smithing and building tecniques are showcased. One vid is about the making of original Black Powder muskets, and if i remember correctly, they are tested before sale by a 5x charge overload and firing..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_O1-chxAdk&pp=ygULZ3Vuc21pdGhpbmc%3D

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol, Don't forget to put it on You Tube!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had some play time before work yesterday so I decided to hit one of my old permissions. It had given many interesting trinkets over the years. I maxed out all the settings on my Deus 2 and went really slow on wet ground. The site lite up again! Most items are about 300 years old. The horse rosette came out with a large piece of iron. Does anyone here know what the iron piece is called? Also found was a half of a musket ball with some type of design on it. I have the other half of the sleeve button with the cross from 2 years ago. It was nice to be back in the ZONE! View attachment 2121455 View attachment 2121456
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

unearthed

Nov 29, 2008
Yellow Tavern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Wilson R&C III, Minelab Safari, X-Terra 70, Xp Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, the iron piece reminds me of a scythe blade.

OP
OP
cannonball

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have seen a musket ball with a small square nail in it. This one look appears to be a gaming piece.

aShardOfHistory

Oct 14, 2023
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deus 2
So many stunning finds! It's always nice to go back to an old place you searches and find new stuff!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread