30 minutes at a new site.......

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
and hit pay dirt.
First item was a metal ring for a chain. Next thing was a WRA 40-60 WCF cartridge. The last thing I found was a round from an Enfield. It doesn't have any grease rings and it has a rounded nose. It also has a casting mark on the nose. Not sure of the caliber.
Part of this camp ground has been destroyed....mostly by a large junk pile that covers most of the site in the woods. I hunted there most of the time but didn't dig anything because it was way too much trash. I then moved out into the field and that's where I found the good stuff. I didn't search too hard today. I wanted to get a feel for what was here. Pretty pleased with the results. No telling what else is here since this was a quick run. I might have searched a good 30 minutes and got two really nice items.

Upvote 0
I knew you would find it. Post a picture of your bullet...d2

Different site altogether. I stumbled upon this one last night while looking over some items. Went this morning to see who owned it and it turns out that I have permission to hunt this person's land anyway. So away I went. Glad I went too.

The two items I found today is the first pic.

The second one is all of my relics that I found. Not sure what one of them is(The Diamond shaped thingy), but it was on a battle site out where there was nothing but a fired round and part of a pocket knife.

The third one is of a rimfire casing that I found at a battle site. Not sure if it's Civil War, but it doesn't have any markings on it.

The fourth is of two casing. The one casing is the rimfire from the third pic. The second casing is ??????

Attachments

• Enfield and 40-60.jpg
    Enfield and 40-60.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 398
  • Finds.jpg
    Finds.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 394
  • Rim Fire casing.jpg
    Rim Fire casing.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 394
  • Casings.jpg
    Casings.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 405
Nice enfield, I aint got a clue about the diamond shaped thing. Is that a button on the end of it, could it be a cuff link or something like that? Hit it hard today I got to rustle up a turkey for saturday...d2

My initial thought was a ciff link too. It is bent and it doesn't look like it's ment to be that way. Here's some more pics of it. Sorry for the poor quality of the pics.

Attachments

• 3-10-07 find.jpg
    3-10-07 find.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 383
  • 3-10-07 find 2.jpg
    3-10-07 find 2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 375
  • 3-10-07 find 3.jpg
    3-10-07 find 3.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 376
I went back this morning and found another round. It's a smooth bore but is more pointed and 1/16th of an inch taller than the last round. I also found a center fire casing for a large pistol.

The diamond shaped object looks like a cast brass guide ring that went to a horse harness. I see an example similar in a book but I cannot tell the size in the book to compare. That would be my guess though.

Is the cartrigde casing a shotgun casing? I have not idea about the diamond shaped item

cwbullet said:
Is the cartrigde casing a shotgun casing? I have not idea about the diamond shaped item

It's a rifle casing. It was a round that was introduced around 1876.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back