keossvin

Mar 2, 2016
Oss
Detector(s) used
garret ace 250, garret ace 300I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Tnet,
I found these 3 buttons on a field where i've found other old stuf like shoe buckles and a 'duit' from the mid 1700's

The first button is a fairly known button, it has 'treble gilt' and other lettering on the back. I found this button online but the weird part is they say its an english navy button but I found this one here in the Netherlands..

The second button is a suspecten pewter button.. Didnt do any test on it but it feels a little heavy for silver.. It had a flower on the front. Any idea how old ?

The third button is a weird cone shaped
2c34344bdfcae32bb01d27fd8e6e4cc6.jpg
dabe297795efff35b88a4bb73ebe61fc.jpg
0db07bdf66baa7f6e1a5ccc874c1e9b5.jpg
button with a weird shank.. I dont even know if this is even a button.. Any idea what sort and how old ?

Thanks for any help help !

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Nobody :(?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I used to have a website bookmarked that IDed buttons by their construction but my computer crashed and I lost it. I tried to find it but haven't had any success yet. I think the cone shaped button is a very early one, maybe from the 1700s. I don't have any idea on the flower button. And the anchor button appears to be a British one as denoted by the BNH in the description. These buttons were added to the book because of their similarity to American naval buttons.

Upvote 0
Doublet button, think they are pre 1700s, find some with cast integral, others with missing iron shanks.
Geometric floral pewters roughly same era, nice oldies!
DOUBLET, NIPPLE, BLOWHOLES, OTHER EARLY TYPES  (1).jpgDOUBLET, NIPPLE, BLOWHOLES, OTHER EARLY TYPES  (19).jpg

Here's one a bit closer to your example.
DOUBLET, NIPPLE, BLOWHOLES, OTHER EARLY TYPES  (3).jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I used to have a website bookmarked that IDed buttons by their construction but my computer crashed and I lost it. I tried to find it but haven't had any success yet. I think the cone shaped button is a very early one, maybe from the 1700s. I don't have any idea on the flower button. And the anchor button appears to be a British one as denoted by the BNH in the description. These buttons were added to the book because of their similarity to American naval buttons.
fyrffytr1, I think that button page was put up by 'silversimon' I get a 404 message when attempting to access the link....

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Silversimon was great but one day just disappeared. I hope someone saved the pages from these old websites.

Upvote 0
I searched for silversimon and found some posts from 2014 where he set up a new site at moonfruit.com but it doesn't work either. I just registered on a British site in hopes of finding his site but I have to wait for an e-mail confirmation before I can search the forums.

Upvote 0
According to information and photos/drawings at the two websites I'll link at the end of this post,
your "anchor button" is a British Merchant Navy button from the 1810s-through-1820s.
Note these four identifying characteristics:
1- The anchor has no rope.
2- There is no crown above the anchor.
3- The anchor is shown inside a raised oval.
4- The background surrounding the anchor is "dotted" instead of having rays emanating from the anchor.
(An 1805-to-1812 British Navy "Surgeon At Sea" button is very similar to yours but has rays instead of dotted background yours has.)

Here are the two websites I use for identifying British Navy Buttons. The first is best.
The second is a British metal-detecting club's website, and it is known to have some button-identification errors.
Diana's Buttons - Reference - British Navy Buttons
Navy buttons

Upvote 0
Nor with Chrome, "Your Internet Access Is Blocked".

I posted the link with desktop Firefox here it is mobile Firefox maybe that's the issue,are you using mobile or desktop browsers?[URL="http://silversimon.moonfruit.com/"[/URL]
Maybe rather than clicking on the link copy this text and paste it in your address box http://silversimon.moonfruit.com/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's odd, when I used the insert link tool it came up as plain text when I paste it as plain text it created an active link anyway it functions from me I'm using Firefox browser mobile at the moment

Upvote 0
Regarding your shanks it appears that one of them is partly eroded away, the other looks like it had iron wire with rusted and is no longer visible, button on left in my pair photo looks very similar on the bottom to your wire Shank I'll try to get a photo up when I'm back on the Mainframe

Upvote 0
I posted the link with desktop Firefox here it is mobile Firefox maybe that's the issue,are you using mobile or desktop browsers?[URL="http://silversimon.moonfruit.com/"[/URL]
Maybe rather than clicking on the link copy this text and paste it in your address box http://silversimon.moonfruit.com/

How weird, that was the message on my PC and phone. But using your last link it went through with my tablet.

Upvote 0
I also apologise for hijacking this thread. I am using Firefox on windows 10 and when I click on the link I get the following message:

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at silversimon.moonfruit.com.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I also get the same basic message using Microsoft Edge and windows 10, Firefox and windows 7 and Internet Explorer on my laptop.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back