3 clad quarters, a dime, and a penny. Oh well.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They just can't all be stellar hunts, now can they. LOL

Got a small question though. Today I tried a new school yard. When I tuned the machine it finally tuned at 94 for mineralization!

I hunted in all metal pro mode. But, the quarters rang in as 78 and also gave the iron audio sound along with the quarter signal. When I got them out, there was no iron audio signal left. Now, just what the heck is my AT-Pro trying to tell me?!

Has anyone hunted ground like this? Similar results?

Thanks!

HH!

Upvote 1
NO. huh. ;) LOL!

LOL it's broke. get a Minelab :laughing7:

that Otta get you some responses .
Not being an AT user, and Not real sure what your asking,
I can only go by my thoughts ,
if the iron signal disappeared,
it was a ghost signal from a former piece of iron that
got destroyed while digging.

Cool on the Change for Gas :icon_thumright:
you got 3 clad quarters, a dime, and a penny more then I Did :occasion14:

Last edited:
Not sure about my AT sometimes...but i won't give it up, i think it is still over my head quite a bit. However, this last weekend's hunt was a bit frustrating, filled my pouch with bottle caps. Oh well, i did get a few nickels, pennies an old enameled hair pin and a heart bezel. I'll post that maybe after I combine my finds of this coming weekend. I need better locations is my main problem though. I'll get there eventually.

I'm really not sure what games your AT Pro is playing with you, sounds like you generally love the machine. But I can tell you my Ace 250 has lately been confusing me/driving me nuts. I spend a third of my time digging signals that change or disappear.

Before digging, I get a solid, bi-directional dime or quarter signal. I sweep the coil from different directions to make sure it's "good". It usually says its 2" deep. After cutting a plug, there's nothing. Pinpoint again, same reading, same signal. Dig some more. Nothing. Sweep and pinpoint again. Now it's telling me it's a dollar coin at 2 inches. Dig some more. Nothing.

Sometimes I'll find a can or piece of iron. And sometimes I give up after digging a huge 8-inch-deep hole and finding nothing, while it's still telling me I have a quarter at two inches in the very center of said hole.

And sometimes, after all this effort, the signal just disappears, even after I switch to all-metal mode to find it again.

I have a love/hate relationship with my Ace, is what I'm saying. Thanks for letting me vent.

I'm really not sure what games your AT Pro is playing with you, sounds like you generally love the machine. But I can tell you my Ace 250 has lately been confusing me/driving me nuts. I spend a third of my time digging signals that change or disappear.

Before digging, I get a solid, bi-directional dime or quarter signal. I sweep the coil from different directions to make sure it's "good". It usually says its 2" deep. After cutting a plug, there's nothing. Pinpoint again, same reading, same signal. Dig some more. Nothing. Sweep and pinpoint again. Now it's telling me it's a dollar coin at 2 inches. Dig some more. Nothing.

Sometimes I'll find a can or piece of iron. And sometimes I give up after digging a huge 8-inch-deep hole and finding nothing, while it's still telling me I have a quarter at two inches in the very center of said hole.

And sometimes, after all this effort, the signal just disappears, even after I switch to all-metal mode to find it again.

I have a love/hate relationship with my Ace, is what I'm saying. Thanks for letting me vent.

I noticed, very early on, that this AT has a personality. (Don't bother to explain to me that, that's impossible with an inanimate object. ;) )
It just gives me some very interesting results from time to time. Usually it just involves timing though. I mention that it looks like rain and then find a token from the rainforest restaurant. LOL

But, when I get a signal, it has always proven to be something. Maybe not what I want, but always something. When I get signals like you're saying it usually turns out to be a large target that is showing up shallow but is really much deeper. When the target disappears altogether after I've had a decently solid hit. I know it's something I did. First, I check a bit deeper then a little wider. If it's a small coin I might have turned it up on edge.

Sometimes, just stirring the dirt up in the hole will make it reappear. If that doesn't work, the first place I look is the clod of dirt stuck to the end of my knife. Then, I broaden the search to see where I might have flung the target. LOL

No, my AT may play a prank from time to time, but, so far, it has NEVER completely lied to me. :)

HH!

LOL it's broke. get a Minelab :laughing7:

that Otta get you some responses .
Not being an AT user, and Not real sure what your asking,
I can only go by my thoughts ,
if the iron signal disappeared,
it was a ghost signal from a former piece of iron that
got destroyed while digging.

Cool on the Change for Gas :icon_thumright:
you got 3 clad quarters, a dime, and a penny more then I Did :occasion14:

Yep...seemed to work. Thanks! LOL

I hadn't thought about the destroyed iron signal. It is a possibility. I'm kinda thinking it was a combined ground clutter/coin/mineralization thing though.

You're from the land of minerals. Do you have any friends with a Garrett that could tell you what their ground tuning is like up there? I've seen some pretty hot ground down here but not as high as 94 plus! I gotta go find some low mineralization and try this machine to see just how deep it can go in "good" ground. Somewhere in Dixie I guess. :dontknow:

About that change for gas? ALWAYS a blessing. I do not take it for granted! :)

Thanks!
HH!

PS: Hope you're feeling better!

They just can't all be stellar hunts, now can they. LOL

Got a small question though. Today I tried a new school yard. When I tuned the machine it finally tuned at 94 for mineralization!

I hunted in all metal pro mode. But, the quarters rang in as 78 and also gave the iron audio sound along with the quarter signal. When I got them out, there was no iron audio signal left. Now, just what the heck is my AT-Pro trying to tell me?!

Has anyone hunted ground like this? Similar results?

Thanks!

HH!

Hi,
I just got my AT Pro Friday, In my yard in north central Indiana it ground balanced at 80. I have a lot of iron in my yard from an old house they tore down. That may be effecting the balance here......G

Yep...seemed to work. Thanks! LOL

I hadn't thought about the destroyed iron signal. It is a possibility. I'm kinda thinking it was a combined ground clutter/coin/mineralization thing though.

You're from the land of minerals. Do you have any friends with a Garrett that could tell you what their ground tuning is like up there? I've seen some pretty hot ground down here but not as high as 94 plus! I gotta go find some low mineralization and try this machine to see just how deep it can go in "good" ground. Somewhere in Dixie I guess. :dontknow:

About that change for gas? ALWAYS a blessing. I do not take it for granted! :)

Thanks!
HH!

PS: Hope you're feeling better!

No sorry a 250 would be the closest

Mainly White's & Minelab users here

I have a problem about the same thing. I got a great hit. Can't remember what it was but I dug the plug and pulled it out checked the hole nothing. Checked the plug all over nothing. Put plug back in and there is the signal again. Very frustrating. Whites coinmaster GT

That beats my modern cent and wheat I got ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back