Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By all means, please do. Its pine 1" x 6" x 8' primed trim board that I just ripped down to strips I needed. 1/2" MDF shelves that I wrapped in pine to keep them from sagging. Used my Kreg Jig for butt joints and lots of router work. The glass was all cut at Lowes (not sure the Canadian equivalent, but its just a big box hardware store). The backing is flashing that I hit with my orbital with 80 grit, which casts nice light from the LED strip lights that are lining the bottoms of all the shelves. For the top piece I made sure to make the ends exact 45 degrees.... I gave the guy\kid cutting the glass the measurements for the piece square and then said "alright, put it back in the cutter corner-to-corner and cut it in half" and said "I dont think that will work, but I'll give it a shot"... perfect cut! ha He was really good.

Thanks for the detailed response. I really need to find a way to display my good finds, my wife would be very pleased if I was able to contain my piles of stuff lol. I can't wait to get started on this project, I love building things.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks a ton everyone for taking the time to comment. My posts tend to be long and include a lot of pictures, so thank you all for reading and checking all that out. Almost all of the things in the case I have included in my posts this year. (except for some iron that I was doing electrolysis on) Seeing all of it together makes me realize just how much I hunted this year. haha 75% of the time I work from my home office and that case is directly next to my desk. It never gets old staring at all those relics.

Happy New Year everyone and thank you all again.

And I would be staring at them too! Hell of a year. Congrats:thumbsup:

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the detailed response. I really need to find a way to display my good finds, my wife would be very pleased if I was able to contain my piles of stuff lol. I can't wait to get started on this project, I love building things.

Awesome! Vino did a post in the "My Best Finds" section in Nov with his display. Him and I were talking and it'd be really nice if we had a forum section on here dedicated to "Our Displays" so we can show off the cool ways we come up with presenting the things we dig up. A few people posted some cool ideas in his thread in Nov. It's always awesome to see what people come up with for their display's.... so, when you finish your project it'd be great to see it.

Brad

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is that metal round thing that in front of the plate? At the bottom it has the oval and a slot on top?

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is that metal round thing that in front of the plate? At the bottom it has the oval and a slot on top?

Is this the thing you're asking about?
IMG_20151231_182349.jpg

If so, I believe it's a broken piece to a musket buttplate. It actually matches more with a Bess style musket, rather than a Enfield or Springfield... And should prob be in the Colonial section and not the CW section.

If that's not the piece you're asking about, let me know what picture its in or what its next to. I was unsure if you were talking about the US plate, or one of the earthenware plates I'm reconstructing.

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the photo under your username you have the two round iron pieces the left one is what I was asking about
Kyle-

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh guess I never looked at those that way, I found one like that h
This year at the house, didn't know what it was but I kept it anyway

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking display case and impressive pile of finds from the year . I could only hope to ever have a year close to that in finds and really enjoy living your hunts through your posts . Here is hoping your 2016 is as productive and impressive as 2015

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a great year you had! Sweet display case. I organize finds by site, so I'm also having cases built--but they house a 23 year collection (not easy), so much more utilitarian and less display. Would kill to have a case like that, so well done. Congrats on the great finds too many to mention.

Believe it or not Ironhorse and I have to find a new place to hunt pretty much every time out. A site very rarely lasts more than 1 day.

That was my situation when I lived in Kentucky. One site per day, and rarely a site lasted 2-4 hunts. In Louisiana, where land is plowed, and with vast sites full of material culture from a wealthy upper class--a different story!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was my situation when I lived in Kentucky. One site per day, and rarely a site lasted 2-4 hunts. In Louisiana, where land is plowed, and with vast sites full of material culture from a wealthy upper class--a different story!

We always hit them again after the plow, but there just comes a time where things get too quiet to spend hour after hour trying to dig a handful more... much better to move on to something new. Given the sites we leave usually have a little left they also make for a god make up, or place to start until it's late enough to knock on a door.

bigfish313

Nov 11, 2013
El Cerrito CA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and BH SS II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent haul! I would love to hear about the land you found all these relics. Was this all in one area or spread out over acres?

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man talk about museum quality!, amazing post, amazing finds, amazing display cases, you had a fantastic season, GREAT JOB!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all again for all the responses! I just realized that my next annual post will be much harder to put together. My post was easy this year since I just took pictures of the case I built since that was the majority of my hunting in 2015. I just did a hunt yesterday and added a copper and some buttons to my case. It will be tough to pull all that stuff out at the end of 2016. ha

Excellent haul! I would love to hear about the land you found all these relics. Was this all in one area or spread out over acres?

Bigfish, this place is a home site. Its a typical home site type of hunting, with targets centered closer to the structures and fewer targets on the fringe areas. Hopefully there's another hot spot or two somewhere there.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An AWESOME!!! Display (I'm Still looking for Options), & Space is a Major Thing.
You got what I would picture in my mind ' The perfect Display'.

As you likely know Finding the Relics is only half the Job, Cleaning ,Preserving & Displaying is a job in it's self.

That's an incredible Year ,& Hope You /Everyone Can find an old site like the one you found.

Davers

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An AWESOME!!! Display (I'm Still looking for Options), & Space is a Major Thing.
You got what I would picture in my mind ' The perfect Display'.

As you likely know Finding the Relics is only half the Job, Cleaning ,Preserving & Displaying is a job in it's self.

That's an incredible Year ,& Hope You /Everyone Can find an old site like the one you found.

Davers

I am definitely a big fan of the preservation and displaying part. :laughing7: I've learned a lot the last few years on preservation of different materials from iron to brass to pewter to bone... and relics with mixed metal types and bone. As you know, I do a lot of electrolysis... probably more than I should since I don't have room to display all the iron I preserve.... but maybe one day I will have the room.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Anything that I would say, just pales in comparison to your set of exceptional finds. Congrats.

I look forward to seeing your next GREAT find.

GL in 2016!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anything that I would say, just pales in comparison to your set of exceptional finds. Congrats.

I look forward to seeing your next GREAT find.

GL in 2016!

Thanks Tom! I also can't wait to see what turns up next. ha It was a fun year and will be hard to beat for sure.

DennisNJ

Nov 13, 2014
Atco, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
White Coinmaster 5000d Series 2 (Vintage)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am in awe by all these finds. Would it be rude to ask what state you found these items? Or, Did you find these items in numerous states?
I am a novice. So far I found a 1935 penny plus lots of beer cans.
Right now I am under 2 feet of snow so I am house bound for the winter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread