✅ SOLVED 2 ringer bullet I.D. - please :-)

Beepbeep13

Mar 15, 2014
MA, South Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Thanks Big Boy Hobbies) Makro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

Found this today, I would like to learn more about it - possibly a date range ect...

I can take actual measurements if needed, I would say it's 1"long uploadfromtaptalk1396668576365.jpguploadfromtaptalk1396668588922.jpguploadfromtaptalk1396668601102.jpguploadfromtaptalk1396668613549.jpg

Thanks a lot!!
HH - Shawn

Without precise measurements it's difficult to say with certainty, but it looks like maybe a cast .38 revolver round.

Upvote 0
And due to the reeded edge it is not real old. Post Civil War...d2

Upvote 0
You man the edge at the base of the bullet?

If it's post civil war, any idea when this style bullet was used?

Upvote 0
If as I guess it's a .38 centerfire of some flavor, that general caliber showed up beginning in the 1870's (for example, the .38 S&W is from 1877. The more-common now .38 Special is from 1898) with the introduction of centerfire handguns.

Upvote 0
At 1" long it is way too long for a pistol bullet. Need the diameter. Definitely not a CW bullet.

Upvote 0
At 1" long it is way too long for a pistol bullet. Need the diameter. Definitely not a CW bullet.

I don't think it's that long from the picture. It appears shorter than the thumbnail of the person holding it, and while I don't know the poster mine are definitely not 1" long.

Beep, any chance you have a ruler or tape measure you can line the bullet up on to get it's rough length? Or maybe borrow a micrometer or caliper set to get the length and diameter? We need something a little more firm to go on to identify it as anything beyond a post-cw bullet.

Upvote 0
5/16 is only .31. A .38 bullet is .357, or 9mm. Need a more accurate measurement, 3/8 is closer to .38, but a couple of thousands to large. If it is a .38, the reeded grooves make it a bullet probably manufactured after 1900. Manufacture of reeded groove bullets began around 1880 and are still made today. Try and get a better measurement of the diameter. Really need the measurement to be in thousands of an inch.

Upvote 0
Ok, ill have to wait and use my mic at work, this may sound silly but what exactly do you mean by reeded grooves? The grooves are "rigid, or uneven"?

Upvote 0
If you look closely at the upper ring or groove you will see tiny ridges. They are called cannelures. These are what everyone is referring to. Hope this picture helps

Attachments

• can5-l.jpg
    can5-l.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 110
Upvote 0
Perfect description and picture! Thanks fyr

Upvote 0
3/4" is still long for a pistol bullet. If your bullet is actually .32 it most likely came from a .32 rifle, a common caliber in the Winchester model 94.

Upvote 0
3/4" is still long for a pistol bullet. If your bullet is actually .32 it most likely came from a .32 rifle, a common caliber in the Winchester model 94.

Maybe the .32-20? Fairly light bullet for it's caliber, and there is a resemblance.

Upvote 0
Maybe the .32-20? Fairly light bullet for it's caliber, and there is a resemblance.

32-20 is a short little cartridge, for pistols and rifles, I have a couple of rifles in the caliber. I'm thinking the one in question is a 32-40, a full sized rifle cartridge.

Upvote 0
Ok guys,

The bullet is .715 in length and .350 in diameter

Upvote 0
Well that's about what a fired .35 Remington bullet would mic out to. .35 Remington cartridge was developed in 1906.

Upvote 0
The .35 Remington bullets I'm seeing have only 1 grove, does that sound right?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back