2 heavy iron pieces

N_E_W_D_I_G_G_E_R

Jun 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
fisher f2 double d and standard 8 inch coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know i posted these in another section sorry still new to this probably should have posted them here first but . i 20130619_114623.jpg20130619_114702.jpg20130619_114710.jpgfound these two item in the woods near my house today and im not sure what they are but they are heavy made of iron and the longer one is about 15 inches long 2 inches in diameter and heavy second one is about 12 inches long 2 nches in diameter and the flat spoon area is approx 3 inches wide and about 3/4 inch thick

Last photo looks like a cast iron bathtub foot.There is a place we hunt we call the bathtub grave yard.They are all over the place.neat find and welcome to tnet..Osage

Upvote 0
just found out i live on an old railroad yard wondering if these went to some kind of train car?

Upvote 0
just found out i live on an old railroad yard wondering if these went to some kind of train car?

Could be. The old railroad car coupling pins were approx. 2" thick, up to 15"+ long, and came in a few different head shapes, including a flattened end version. U.S. railroad safety laws passed in 1890 banned this type of coupler and replaced it with knuckle couplers, the kind still used today.

The B&NM used the link-and-pin coupling system to connect its cars. For railroad workers, coupling cars by such primitive means was a game of chance. The process required that they stand on the track as the cars came together. Their job was to lift the link (like a large oval chain link) to a horizontal position and insert a large iron pin vertically through each end of the link and the car couplers to complete the connection. There was little room for error. Many brakemen lost fingers or hands, or they were crushed between train cars. Pins and links would also break causing trains to come apart.

RR link & pin.jpgRR coupler.JPGRR coupler pin.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i think i see that one and in the woods i found something that looks like the ring well half of it anyway and the pin measurements i looked up are almost dead on and the flat spoon one looks like a flat bar or pry or roller bar they used to walk train cars with i guess id say solved !

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back