Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
2 Days in Ark.= Over 100 CW Relics, Rare Musketoon Bullet, Teardrops, & More

With Dman on injured reserve with a broken leg, Tenn. Josh stepped up to the plate in the true spirit of the Tennessee Trio and the Volunteer state to sub for him on a trip to meet veteran Oklahoma relic hunter John Freeman to hunt Arkansas that we had planned for a few months. Unfortunately, John's son J.J. and brother-in-law Terry had to opt out this time due to work issues so there were just 3 of us. I wrote an article "38 Years of Relic Hunting" about John that is in the current issue of Western & Eastern Treasures.
We hunted Wednesday and Thursday. The labels on the pictures tell the story. John had the best find with a hard to dig .69 cal. 2 ring Musketoon bullet. In that area, It is generally said to be associated with use by colored troops. He recovered 11 teardrop bullets and Josh and I dug our first of those pistol bullets. Josh dug 4 eagle buttons including a coat size "I" and John dug a GS eagle. The soil there is not kind to those buttons.
Josh dug a half of a British made Issac & Campbell brass knapsack hook. I got another Sharps Ringtail which was the first bullet I dug there. John dug the most bullets again. Note the 2 lead pencils and unknown shaped lead object I dug. Could be a soldier made watch fob as I have seen some brass ones shaped like that in the relic books. All ideas welcomed. Note the lead piece in the pic of John's first day finds with the hole in it???
Notice the last pic. I guess I had the Oddball find of this hunt. It's a centerfire pistol cartridge (obviously post CW) that had something white in it it that I recognized. I made the pic, showed it to John and Josh, and pulled the 4 hole porcelain button from the open cartridge end. The button could be CW. How that occurred, we will NEVER know. John theorized that some kids may have been playing there and put the button they found in the brass hull but who knows.
We had a great hunt with a good friend, good weather, and Dman acting as hunt reporter with daily updates to interested parties back home. He'll be there next time. HH, Quindy.

Attachments

• John in Ark..jpg
    John in Ark..jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 1,901
  • Tenn. Josh in Ark..jpg
    Tenn. Josh in Ark..jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 1,899
  • Quindy in Ark..jpg
    Quindy in Ark..jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,936
  • Josh & Quindy\'s Ark. Relics-Day 1.jpg
    Josh & Quindy\'s Ark. Relics-Day 1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,914
  • Quindy\'s ODD Find.jpg
    Quindy\'s ODD Find.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,973
  • John\'s Rare .69 Cal. Musketoon.jpg
    John\'s Rare .69 Cal. Musketoon.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 1,959
  • Quindy Lead Pencil & Object.jpg
    Quindy Lead Pencil & Object.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,951
  • 2nd Day Ark. Relics Combined.jpg
    2nd Day Ark. Relics Combined.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,897
  • John\'s Ark. Relics.jpg
    John\'s Ark. Relics.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,927
Upvote 0
Re: 2 Days in Ark.= Over 100 CW Relics, Rare Musketoon Bullet, Teardrops, & More

That Musketoon would look great in my collection Quindy ;D Look's like you all had some serious fun out there.Congrat's on all the relic's and Thank's for sharing :thumbsup:

Re: 2 Days in Ark.= Over 100 CW Relics, Rare Musketoon Bullet, Teardrops, & More

Some very awesome finds there Quindy...!!! Congrat's to you & your friends....

Dan

Awesome finds Quindy. I hope that I can get out this weekend. I am leaving Wednesday for Ft. Campbell for Thanksgiving and haven't decided if the machine is going or not. If I don't talk to you before Thanksgiving I wish you a very happy one.

that is alot of digging!! good hunt Quindy!

Nice haul! :thumbsup:

Those are nice, I have several of those Musketoon's I found up there in that area...d2

Great finds... and nice job on the article as well. What a collection!!! :thumbsup:

Great job guys! That looks like one fun filled relic hunt with a lot of saves.

Glad to see you had a good trip. I love that bullet. I'll talk to you in the next few days. Donnie

Great finds! I have never dug one of the 2 ring musketoon bullets. Nice assortment of finds. HH

Q-
Looks like it was well worth the trip. I know you speak very highly of John and his collection of CW finds, so I'm sure you guy had a blast. I must say that besides the rare bullet that button is a very neat find too. :thumbsup:
Congrats to all three of you. :hello2:
I just finished your and John's story in W & ET magazine. John's collection and those gold coins are unbelievable!!! :o
I really enjoyed the story.

-Dug-
(I took it easy on the smarta$$ remarks since you are still resting up from your trip. :tongue3: :laughing9: )

Great finds and great times nothing better!

don

Looks like you all had a great time. I wish I could have been there. I know Josh is going to give me half of his finds for taking my place. LOL
Dman

That's a great couple days of digging right there!!!! :icon_thumright:

Outstanding finds!!!

Great post and finds ...congrats !

Nice digs Quindy, those teardrops are cool bullets. I'm glad the road trip was successful for you guys. Arkansas, Missouri, and Texas produce some neat bullets you don't see back east. I am surprised you didn't find any Starr carbine bullets. I have hunted in the DuValls Bluff, Arkansas area a couple times and came away with some nice relics including a 20 lb Parrot shell, quite a few Starr carbine bullets, some Merrills, Sharps, a bunch of three ringers, Sage, Barthelow, and Colt pistol bullets, and one bullet that none of the experts has been able to identify. You're right about the buttons though - all we found was button backs. I will always have fond memories of digging in Arkansas.

Here is the oddball bullet I found. Let me know what you think. It is .873 long, and the diameter is between .396 and .400. I am sure it is period, but nobody has ever seen anything like it :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• Odd Bullet1.jpg.JPG
    Odd Bullet1.jpg.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,355
  • Odd Bullet2.jpg.JPG
    Odd Bullet2.jpg.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,351
  • Odd Bullet.jpg.JPG
    Odd Bullet.jpg.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,356

Lots of good diggin Q :wink:
congrats on that .69 2 ringer, now I'll know I got something if I find one up here :laughing7:
Looks like great times :thumbsup:

WOW, you all did well Quindy...I might start paying you guys 250.00 and come hunt the next hunt :laughing7: Take care buddy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back