Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st "Trime" and CW button!

Today was a good day for me, I found my first ever CW button and my first ever U.S. 3 cent coin. :hello2:
When I found the coin I first thought it was a silver flat button but then I saw writing on the back. i then thought it was a dime. I never knew such a coin existed. I also found this SC button. It has a long double wire on the back and I thought this might be an upolstry tack at first. The face was half corroded and half still had a little gold color. My detecting buddy cleaned it with Aluminum jelly when we got home and I could not believe how good the front looked! The back did not come as clean but I an happy just the same. Can anyone explain the wire on the back? :help:

Attachments

• 18e.jpg
    18e.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 638
  • 18f.jpg
    18f.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 634
  • 18i.jpg
    18i.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 662
  • 18g.jpg
    18g.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 642
  • 18j.jpg
    18j.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 640
Upvote 0
Re: 1st "Trime" and CW button!

Wow killer SC button!!

That may be a button for a military academy. The carter pin is use to remove the button from the jacket for dry cleaning. My army uniform has the same button carter pins. I don't know how far back the carter pins were used but I expect post WW2, maybe 1960s my guess.

But nice coin and button

Just FYI...post war SC, but nice fines though.

Nice finds! With 1678 posts on this site, I can't believe you haven't seen or read anything about the 3 cent silver coins... :laughing7:

Killer finds, still waiting on my first S.C Button HH

Ron P said:
Joe, http://relicman.com/buttons/AAButtonAAPage5.htm
South Carolina cadet button, state seal with palmetto tree and "SC", Citadel cadet, Extra Quality, (19mm)

Not the same button. The size of lettering on both the S C and motto are different. The backmark is "Superior" vs. "Extra", different font, dots vs. solid ring, three stars vs. 1 star. The side view shows the construction to be inconsistent with most CW era buttons I've seen (though I'm far from an expert, so correct me if I'm wrong here). Tice doesn't list any CW period South Carolina seal buttons with a "Superior Quality" backmark. I have to agree with the assertion that this button is post-war. Still cool though :)

And I LOVE the trime, well done. It's a great feeling seeing an old coin like that come out of the ground for the first time, knowing you're the first one to hold it in a century or more. Too cool.

gtoast99 said:
Ron P said:
Joe, http://relicman.com/buttons/AAButtonAAPage5.htm
South Carolina cadet button, state seal with palmetto tree and "SC", Citadel cadet, Extra Quality, (19mm)

Not the same button. The size of lettering on both the S C and motto are different. The backmark is "Superior" vs. "Extra", different font, dots vs. solid ring, three stars vs. 1 star. The side view shows the construction to be inconsistent with most CW era buttons I've seen (though I'm far from an expert, so correct me if I'm wrong here). Tice doesn't list any CW period South Carolina seal buttons with a "Superior Quality" backmark. I have to agree with the assertion that this button is post-war. Still cool though :)

And I LOVE the trime, well done. It's a great feeling seeing an old coin like that come out of the ground for the first time, knowing you're the first one to hold it in a century or more. Too cool.
Thanks for the info. Tony! Someone else told me post CW and that someone probably attached the shank to make it a cuff button or similar. I know it did not look like anything I have seen before. It was found on a CW training site though. Makes me wonder. :icon_scratch: Wonder what it's worth if anything. It was a mess before Ken cleaned it up. The coin is cool...did not know they even existed. :icon_pirat:

Maximum cool factor for sure!!

All the best,

Lanny

Joe,
Way to go on two great finds. At least your 3 cent has a date on it. Mine was too worn down, but it still made my day being able to check it off my list. :thumbsup:
Congrats,
Dug

ModernMiner said:
Joe,
Way to go on two great finds. At least your 3 cent has a date on it. Mine was too worn down, but it still made my day being able to check it off my list. :thumbsup:
Congrats,
Dug
Thanks Dug!

Awesome finds!!!!
Congrats!!
:icon_thumright:

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back