1st presidential seal buckle

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
The best info I could find was a picture with no description that had the same buckle named as a WW2 army buckle. I believe it's bronze plated. I was hoping it was older , seeing as I'm in an area where Washington's men had camped n Ben Franklin frequented... But it was a nice find anyhow. Anyone have any more concrete info on it? Much appreciated .

image-3427427721.jpg

What is the size, and what does the back look like?

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure what you have is a bridal rosette, made with the great seal. It should date to 1902 or after as that was when they started using the great seal.

Upvote 0
Let me get the kids to school n I'll show you what I found on line and more pics. It seems to only be bronze plated perhaps because I can see silver under.... Or would it have been silver? I found it odd that ww2 buckles would have this presidential seal, but it's what it said on eBay ... But that's not a definite. I suppose. Give me like 15 minutes:) . Found in tbe horse field behind by my house

Upvote 0
Ok this is what I've been able to find. Is it a ww2 belt buckle? Or something all together different?

image-3065949606.jpg

image-3451707760.jpg

image-2530266890.jpg

Upvote 0
The back confirms that it's a bridle rosette. This isn't the presidential seal, it's the Great Seal of the United States of America, on which the presidential seal is based.

Upvote 0
The back confirms that it's a bridle rosette. This isn't the presidential seal, it's the Great Seal of the United States of America, on which the presidential seal is based.
Ty. Anything else you could tell me about it. Which war ?

Upvote 0
It wasn't too long after it come into being that the military stopped using horses. The same thing has been used on military buttons starting in 1902 and is still being used today. But the bridal rosettes were just not needed for very long.

Upvote 0
As Duggap and Nhbenz indicated, that version of US Army horse-harness bridle rosette, which shows the Great Seal Of The United States, did not exist until after 1902, when the army first adopted the Great Seal for use on its various forms of insignia. The US Army had quit using horses by the end of the 1930s, except for Ceremonial purposes. All of that being said, the one you found is "most likely" from the World War One era, when the army did a LOT of training in what at that time were "rural" areas of the country. I thought you might like to see photos of the Great Seal rosette on a World War One era army bridle/"headstall," which shows it is definitely not a soldier's belt buckle.

Attachments

• WW1_horsegear_bridle-with-1902eagle-rosette_closeup.jpg
    WW1_horsegear_bridle-with-1902eagle-rosette_closeup.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 122
  • WW1_horsegear_rosette-with-1902eagle-on-harness_headstall.jpg
    WW1_horsegear_rosette-with-1902eagle-on-harness_headstall.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 113
Upvote 0
Thank you guys so very much! It might not be all that old but I'm thrilled to have my first military find. In my own yard!! Don't kill me anyone, but once I heard ww1 I knew it wasn't gonna be so called valuable , so I cleaned it up for my display case. Here she is :)

image-2612293092.jpg

Thanks again everyone

Upvote 0
image-1322327675.jpg

Just interesting.. I found this lil hachette head last year, about 2 feet away from where I found the rosette . I never picked up the signal for the rosette till this year . I went over n over that area. It's all about soil moisture

Upvote 0
every bridle rosette I have seen has the bracket in the middle. think it is a buckle
The back loop is bent, setting it further to the one side than it was originally. But there exists for these a left and a right side rosette, with the offset of the loop to alternate sides of the eagle.

Upvote 0
Thank you guys so very much! It might not be all that old but I'm thrilled to have my first military find. In my own yard!! Don't kill me anyone, but once I heard ww1 I knew it wasn't gonna be so called valuable , so I cleaned it up for my display case. Here she is :)

View attachment 970962

Thanks again everyone

What did you use to clean that up? It really came out nice.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back