1st Draped Bust Large Cent, Beautiful 18thc Gold Gilt Coat Button & More!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! I had a great time Saturday saving some history. It was a long day, on the road at 6am & didn't get back until midnight (3 hour drive each way). We went to 2 different sites; a 1774 home site & an 1835 plantation site. The 1770s site was only inhabited 20 years so everything found there was strictly colonial (other than modern bullets & junk). I found a beautiful gold gilt colonial button, a tombac button, piece of a shoe buckle & a mystery item. It was the home site of a of a famous Revolutionary War politician (sorry, I can't divulge more!) & I feel privileged to find items that he could've worn & touched.

The second site we searched was the site of an 1835 plantation which now has a modern home built over the old site (I went to the site when it was still standing when I was a kid). I found my first draped bust large cent! Too bad it's toast & I can't see a date but I'm not complaining. I also found a few other neat relics.
That Ike dollar about gave me a heart attack popping out of the ground at an old site like that! Any help with the what's it items would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking & HH!

Attachments

• button_front.jpg
    button_front.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 186
  • button_back.jpg
    button_back.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 197
  • LC_back.jpg
    LC_back.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 202
  • LC_front.jpg
    LC_front.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 199
  • jp.jpg
    jp.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 203
  • colonial_whatit.jpg
    colonial_whatit.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 187
  • 1835_whatit.jpg
    1835_whatit.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 210
  • 1835_misc.jpg
    1835_misc.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 1835_misc1.jpg
    1835_misc1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 187
  • 1835_coins.jpg
    1835_coins.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Upvote 13
Some nice colonial goodies there!
Good job

Nice finds...the round coin with the square hole is a Chinese coin..

All beautiful finds, must of felt nice just being there knowing you might find something that was in a person of history!

Nice finds...the round coin with the square hole is a Chinese coin..
There aren't any markings on it & it's the size of a silver dollar. The front is slightly domed.

All beautiful finds, must of felt nice just being there knowing you might find something that was in a person of history!
Indeed. It makes each find special. The gold gilt button made my day for sure.

major wow factor! cool finds

That is one of my favorite button I've ever seen! I love that find bud. Awesome stuff

Josh you made the right decision to go there then my 1870 house site. You really scored some incredible finds. I am jealous of the draped bust cent. The button is a beauty too. Not sure about the what's its.

That button is just beautiful... great finds! :icon_thumleft:

Very nice finds Josh. Congrats on the LC.

Amazing colonial finds from the south land. One of the most colorful buttons from any time. Jim I got the 1882 IH from that old house and its soaking in Olive oil. It was a fun hunt and met some nice hosts to boot.

Awesome finds all the way around. Congrats

Any ideas on the mystery items? I've posted on another forum as well & nothing...

The silver dollar sized thing is a concho (horse tack) or it could be a back plate from a drawer pull.

Nice digs . Thanks for the pics

Ill take a crusty draped bust anytime :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back