1975 Dime Without Mintmark

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From UK Newspaper ā€˜The Independentā€™ via ā€˜msn.comā€™:

Three sisters from Ohio who inherited a dime kept in a bank vault for more than 40 years knew it had some value. But they had no idea just how much until just a few years ago.
The extraordinarily rare coin, struck by the U.S. Mint in San Francisco in 1975, could bring more than $500,000, said Ian Russell, president of GreatCollections, which specializes in currency and is handling an online auction that will end in October.
What makes the dime depicting President Franklin D. Roosevelt so valuable is a missing ā€œSā€ mint mark for San Francisco, one of just two without the mark known to exist. The other one sold at a 2019 auction for $456,000 and then again months later to a private collector.

Dime.jpg

Ā© GreatCollections

That will be interesting to watch. They don't mention there are millions of business strike 1975 dimes without mintmark though, I expect this will get a lot of people confused thinking they have the rare one!

That will be interesting to watch. They don't mention there are millions of business strike 1975 dimes without mintmark though, I expect this will get a lot of people confused thinking they have the rare one!
Agreed.
And i would like to point out... this dime from the picture looks almost biz strike to me already heh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back