1973 D looks like a proof??

Re: New Guy on board half 1973 d proof??

There is no such thing as a 1973 D 90%.

Sometimes you will find clads with rims that appear to have alot of "silver" in them (77's I find alot). I don't know what causes that appearance, but they are not silver to the best of my knowledge.

Jim

Re: New Guy on board half 1973 D looks like a proof??

eagleeyesone said:
update:

It looks extremely shiney like a proof

If it is a 1973 S, then it is a proof. No such thing as a 1973 D proof. Even if it is a proof, it ain't silver.

Jim

Re: New Guy on board half 1973 D looks like a proof??

Welcome aboard E. Glad you chimed in.

73 proofs will have an 'S' mintmark with a mirrored finish with the frosted head. I think what you have found is a plated coin. I have found many of those and just release them back into the wild.

Sound is the best way to tell if you have a silver coin or not......my opinion anyway.

Good luck and keep plugging.........

Re: 1973 D looks like a proof??

Cool thanx for the quick respone.

I'm thinking it is chrome plated, but man some one did a great job. tryed to down load a pic to high of a res. will reduce and post

finds since Jan 08
1 Walker
1 Ben
40 90%
65 40%

out of 10
boxes

I agree with LJ if it's silver you will hear it, compare the sound of a regular copper clad Half and a silver one (If you got one) dropping it on a solid surface like wood. There is no mistaking that sweet sound of SILVER!

Mojo

P.S. those are Pretty good numbers for 10 boxes. If I were you I'd up my search. I do 12 -15 boxes a week and don't come near those numbers.

I've actually read that the mint made so 40% in 1971 and 1977 so always be on the lookout, and if you are pretty sure its silver just keep it

washingtonian said:
I've actually read that the mint made so 40% in 1971 and 1977 so always be on the lookout, and if you are pretty sure its silver just keep it

Do you have a link or source for this? I don't think that it is accurate. I have seen some of those years that appear to have more "silver" color on the rim, but I think it is just the way the coins were struck and is probably nickel and not silver??

Jim

From 2008 Redbook:Quote "A few of the pieces dated 1971-D and 1977-D were struck in silver clad composition by error". Close quote. I found one of the 1971-D last year in a roll.

oroh2o said:
From 2008 Redbook:Quote "A few of the pieces dated 1971-D and 1977-D were struck in silver clad composition by error". Close quote. I found one of the 1971-D last year in a roll.

OK, so let's say the Redbook is correct. There were about 302,000,000 1971 D's minted, and about 31,500,000 1977 D's minted per coinfacts.com. The quote says "a few" silver ones were minted. I don't know what "a few" means, but if it is true, you should have your silver 1971 graded by PCGS or NGC because it seems like it would be a very, very rare error coin and should be worth lots of dough.

I hope you are right because it gives me some other coins to search for. But I have not seen this anywhere other than from what you said was in the Redbook (which I am not doubting it does say).

Jim

Bump Jim if I knew that I had a coin like that I would have it slabbed any graded because they have to be extremely scarce and worth some major bank, Ed

I've seen the same foot note in the redbook and have searched over 2.25 million Half Dollar coins and have yet to find one. I have found examples of just about everything else from a 1938D Walking liberty, 1970D JFK's, novelty coins, dozens of Magic coins DDE's, no FG & several Comparatives.

So yea I would guess they are RARE. I have had my suspicions on a couple but they did not pass the sound test.

Mojo

OK, so let's say the Redbook is correct. There were about 302,000,000 1971 D's minted, and about 31,500,000 1977 D's minted per coinfacts.com. The quote says "a few" silver ones were minted. I don't know what "a few" means, but if it is true, you should have your silver 1971 graded by PCGS or NGC because it seems like it would be a very, very rare error coin and should be worth lots of dough.

I hope you are right because it gives me some other coins to search for. But I have not seen this anywhere other than from what you said was in the Redbook (which I am not doubting it does say).

Jim

The original post doesn't mention anything about a 1971 coin.

Every now and then you will come acrossI non-proof Kennedys with a "proof-like" finish. I always stare at those, puzzled, but push them into the dump pile.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back