1966 $100 Star Note

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
Looking for some advise. I have a 1966 $100 Star Note that is missing the upper left corner 1/4". How much does that tear/missing piece hurt its value. The sad part is that I think it was torn to see if the bill was real. ??? I will try to get a scan up

Any input on to value would be appreciated.

Thank you,
65GT350

Condition, District and Serial Number will all factor in to value.

Don knows more about currency than I do but I'm not sure what is strange about this note. :icon_scratch:

I finally have the notes in hand. The other is a 1990 $100FRN Star K district.

Attachments

• USN_FRN213.jpg
    USN_FRN213.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,075
Shame on that tear but I think it would still have some decent collector value. Only 768,000 Series 1966 $100 were printed with 128,000 being star notes. District doesn't apply for this note and not a low or "fancy serial number.

Great site for production numbers.
http://www.uspapermoney.info/serials/u1966_h.html

This one sold for $300 with 9 bids on Feb 15, 2011. I'd think yours would be around the same. :dontknow:

Attachments

• 1966 Red Star.jpg
    1966 Red Star.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,340
The Red Book a couple of years ago reflects a retail value of $165 (VF-20), $165 (EF-40) and $450 (Unc. 63).
I'd think you'd be hard pressed to get $300 with that torn bill, but then again, it's Ebay. Disregard my 'strange' comment.

Thank you all for the feedback and data. Ebay is having a free listing event so I'll probably put them up.

One other question. On the back of the 1966 is a teller stamp. Can or should this be removed. I know to not clean coins so I figure it is better to just leave it but you never know. Also, are there people you collect stamped notes? I know some people collect counterstamped coins.

Here is the scan of the back. I also noticed some (11) pin holes in different areas of the bill.

Attachments

• USN_FRN215.jpg
    USN_FRN215.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 727
  • USN_FRN214.jpg
    USN_FRN214.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 2,834
Mackaydon said:
Are you sure it's a 1966 note?

I think what may have thrown you, as it did me, there were no FRNs in '66; but his is a USN.

Thank you all for the information and pricing advise. Both DigginThePast and Mackaydon were right on the mark with their pricing comments. It sold on Ebay for $287.

Now I just need to wait for another free listing event to put the 1990 up.

HH,
65GT350

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow. Thats the first I've seen of anything like that. I'd report it and also try to contact the seller. They may be unaware. :dontknow:

DigginThePast said:
Wow. Thats the first I've seen of anything like that. I'd report it and also try to contact the seller. They may be unaware. :dontknow:

The seller is the same person who bought it from me. I will try to report it to ebay.

They definitely did a good job on that one, no one can argue that! Please update if you get a response back from Ebay or the seller. Definitely not ethical but I doubt if it is against any type of regulations. Seems like it would be the same as cleaning a coin and then not stating that it was cleaned.

It sold on ebay for $525. Ebay sent a standard email saying they would investigate but that they would not follow up with the resolution.

thomasp6699 just made my don't buy from list.

HH,
65GT350

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back