1944 house hunt in miami,florida

hurricane dale

Nov 1, 2009
miami,florida
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO, minelab excaliber II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello everyone..went out today and hit one of my friends house in east miami by 14 ave and sw 17 st.. for those are familiar with miami area...the house was built in 1944...found 1 wheat penny 1957..the rest of the pennies are 1970's or unknown dates..and found 2 dimes..one of them is a 1968 D... missed the silver by 3 years..lol.... will be hitting another site tomorrow morning... pictures are below of the finds and me at his house..thanks and HH

Attachments

• miami metal.jpg
    miami metal.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 1,053
  • miami house finds.jpg
    miami house finds.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,046
Upvote 0
Congradulation on your Finds. The weather looks nice, wish it was the same in North Carolina

that's only a few blocks from my bro's house on 14 tr and 19 av., also a 40's model. By the 40's, the houses began to get a uniform and nearly unadorned appearance which stayed basically the same through the 60's. But there are lot's of 20's and 30's houses throughout that area, that were designed with imagination and even whimsy. I know one venacular wood frame built in 1910. Some streets are quite fantastic, with Mission, Mediterranean, Spanish colonial, some art deco, vernacular wood frame, and odd combinations...it's kind of wild when you really look at them. I grew up in the area, and it's only since I started metal detecting, looking for older properties, that I've realized that this area is amazing architecturally.

I used to love to hit old homes when I detected back in the 70's. Nothing but silver. Next to driveways, sidewalks and under clotheslines. But now you have to fight thru all the modern trash. Bus stops was another good spot. Dont pass up any digging on the beach.

I think the last frontier of metal detecting is the old ghetto areas in places like Lemon City. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,39502.0.html I used to make some decent finds there but its way too dangerous now. Maybe work with a partner.

Too bad I missed the Brickell Road construction. They tore up the roadbed but I think work is about finished now. Its hard to get permission for construction sites.

Keep up the great enthusiasm.

lemon city? i think your talking about liberty city...???

hurricane dale said:
lemon city? i think your talking about liberty city...???
Liberty City is bad too. Lemon City is the first settlement in Miami around 1850. Its commonly known as Little Haiti. If you click on the link that I provided above ( http//forum... etc), you could read about Lemon City.

Attachments

• Lemon City.jpg
    Lemon City.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 486
bigcypresshunter said:
I used to love to hit old homes when I detected back in the 70's. Nothing but silver. Next to driveways, sidewalks and under clotheslines. But now you have to fight thru all the modern trash. Bus stops was another good spot. Dont pass up any digging on the beach.

I think the last frontier of metal detecting is the old ghetto areas in places like Lemon City. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,39502.0.html I used to make some decent finds there but its way too dangerous now. Maybe work with a partner.

Too bad I missed the Brickell Road construction. They tore up the roadbed but I think work is about finished now. Its hard to get permission for construction sites.

Keep up the great enthusiasm.
Wow! sounds like it was awesome back in the day. BTW, I did a little detecting in Little River not long ago. I used to snook fish at night in the river in the 80's, when I had a girlfriend living in one of those apartments just Northeast of the river. I checked El Portal and n. miami just a little, too. Nothing interesting, but it was a very short trip.

bigcypresshunter said:

I fully agree...I've made some of my best finds in urban areas. If you are willing to clear out the trash which is mainly liqour bottle caps and bullets then watch out for needles it can really pay off. Just make sure your out of there before dark...best to hunt in the early morning and with a partner (I don't hunt with a partner but I really should).

Good luck on your future hunts.

NJ

Sunday morning may be the best time but not too early. Some zombies are out all night.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back