1932 S Washington quarter Double S?

So if I put this coin on eBay at a $.99 auction, should I mention the mint Mark? Or take a photo of it or not? Or should I send it off and have a graded first.

yes, yes, no

Yes, mention the mint mark, you want to describe it for what it is. I'd even mention it in the title.
Yes, show it in a photo
No, don't get it graded, as grading can cost more then it's worth sometimes

Just my 2¢...

Learn something new here everyday!

So (a little sidetrack), the 1955D DD penny, the doubling is in the die? So that means the mint's die QC leaves something to be desired...?

It's actually the 1955P cent, but yes, someone dropped the ball. Every coin made from that die looked the same.

To add, I love they miss these coins. Take for instance the 1999 wams. Someone went to change out a reverse die for whatever reason and grabbed a proof reverse by mistake. I have found a total of three in 18 years. I had a 1983 DDR I found a few years ago that I sold for over $200. Without errors and varieties coin collecting would be quite boring!

To add, I love they miss these coins. Take for instance the 1999 wams. Someone went to change out a reverse die for whatever reason and grabbed a proof reverse by mistake. I have found a total of three in 18 years. I had a 1983 DDR I found a few years ago that I sold for over $200. Without errors and varieties coin collecting would be quite boring!

That is what a lot of folks think is what happened to create the 1999-P "Wide AM" Lincoln Cents. Actually, the Philadelphia Mint exhausted all of the Business Strike Reverse Dies in 1999 due to Die Failures, so they pulled out Proof Reverse Dies and put them into service to finish the Production Year quota.

Errors and Varieties are the reason I got into collecting and researching coins. Found my' only 1955-P "Double Die #1" Lincoln Cent around Christmas of 1973 in a coffee can full of coins I collected while stationed in Kirch-Goens, West Germany and actually found it when I took them home with me while on Christmas Leave and my' Mom and myself looked through all of the coins I had collected. I then found two 1972-P "Doubled Die" Lincoln Cents in 1976 while stationed in Giessen, West Germany. One was a DDO #2 and the other (I believe) a DDO #4. There were also tons of old U.S. coinage circulating between the Bases (Kasernes) and American Express during the 4 years and 4 months I was stationed in West Germany. While there, I found lots of Silver Washington Quarters, a few Standing Liberty Quarters, lots of Mercury and Silver Roosevelt Dimes, lots of Buffalo and a few "V" Nickels, probably several thousand Lincoln Wheat Cents and quite a few Indian Head Cents. You could even buy old U.S. Notes/Bills at the Dresdner "Exchange" Bank in the Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof (Main Train Station) fairly cheap and wish I had purchased more.

Frank

Last edited:
The reason I ask is because I had a 1904 s Morgan in a graded really high but no one wanted to buy it because it looks like crap in the case. Everyone one wanted the shiny one but not the tone one.

For non-rare coins such as the 1904-S Morgan Silver Dollar (common date, high mintage coins with lower values) with ugly toning or Proof Silver Coins which have developed a haze on them, I would recommend Connoisseurs 7oz Jar Silver Cleaner https://www.walmart.com/ip/Connoiss...ilver-Jewelry-Cleaner-8-oz.-Case-of-6/1120688 that you can get a Walmart. However, be careful how you use it! The plastic container of Silver Cleaner has a tub inside to wash Silver jewelry and other Silver items by dipping it down into the solution. For High Grade uncirculated Silver coins that have developed ugly toning or Proof Silver coins which have developed a haze on them, rinse them with rubbing alcohol then cold water, pat dry, then place the coin or several coins in the tub and only dip them into the solution 3 times, remove them from the tub rinse with cold water and check to see if the ugly toning or hazing has been removed. If not, then pat them dry and place any that need re-dipping back to the tub and dip them into the solution 2 to 3 times but no more, then rinse with cold water. Warning: If you dip any coins in the solution more than this, then you risk removing some or most of any Mint Luster on the coins. Once the ugly toning or hazing is removed from the coins or they have gone through the solution twice, besides rinsing with cold water, bath them slightly with rubbing alcohol, rinse again with cold water, pat dry between the folds of a soft clean towel and the let air dry before placing them back in their' protective holders or 2x2 holders. Note: This takes some practice to get it correct and the results you want and if done correctly, no one will know that the coins were cleaned unless you divulge that they have. No matter what, please heed my warning not to over-dip any coins.

As stated in my PM to you, this method is much easier to explain over the phone!

Frank

would like to find a buyer for my DDR '39 Jeff, Monticello & Five Cents in VF. most errors I find sell at decent $$$ ---this one at under $90 gets ignored :BangHead::BangHead::dontknow:. guess some collectors want it dirt cheap.

IMG_5138.JPGIMG_5139.JPG

this week's penny box is spittin' out a few errors & a KG VI

would like to find a buyer for my DDR '39 Jeff, Monticello & Five Cents in VF. most errors I find sell at decent $$$ ---this one at under $90 gets ignored :BangHead::BangHead::dontknow:. guess some collectors want it dirt cheap.

View attachment 1436513View attachment 1436514

this week's penny box is spittin' out a few errors & a KG VI

You're not a charter member so you can't try to sell on the forum.

Not that is what you're trying to do, but it has that appearance.

Frank, if what you're saying is true about the wams, why was I finding the 2000's at the beginning of the year. I think the ran out of dies is just a cya story. It only happened for 3 consecutive years.

Do not clean it. It will devalue the coin. It looks great.

Frank, if what you're saying is true about the wams, why was I finding the 2000's at the beginning of the year. I think the ran out of dies is just a cya story. It only happened for 3 consecutive years.

The information I received was that the Mint had excessive Die Failures each of those years, exhausted the Dies and had to resort to using Proof "Wide AM" Reverse Dies to finish out the production quotas. The story (theory) about the "Close AM" Proof Cents for 1998 and 1999 is that the Philadelphia Mint which still made the Proof Dies, accidentally sent the San Francisco Mint some Business Strike Dies and these were used but only produced a limited amount of Proof Cents with "Close AM" Reverses as someone in QC caught the mistake.

Frank

Last edited:
Just last week I was talking with one of my Coin Collecting Friends.
&
We stated maybe "Accidentally " The Mint should produce a 'Few' 100,000 DD of some sort to promote the hobby.

but That just does not sound Kosher in some way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back