1932 S Washington quarter Double S?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was getting ready to list this online for auction. It's really hard to take a picture of but I'm pretty sure the S is double stamped on the Washington quarter. Is that possible? I've added some pictures it's really hard to tell. I will say, in the photos but if you zoom in you should be able to see what it looks like the top of the S is double stamped.
Thank you for your help!!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491445230.718930.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491445259.111917.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491445277.906098.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491445297.765321.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491447835.429862.jpg

I've been trying to take a better picture this is the best I can get it and I think it's pretty good.

The correct term would be repunched mint mark, but yours has the look of machine doubling to it. Maybe Frank will weigh in soon.

It looks like Machine Doubling to me as well but it is fairly uncommon for a coin to have such pronounced Machine Doubling on the Mint mark without some also showing on some of the other devices (details) such as the lettering and especially the Eagle's beak. Also, I have seen thousands of coins with Machine Doubling and a few that appeared to exhibit split serifs on the Mint mark as BK's coin appears to exhibit. In light of this and the fact that Coneca does not list an RPM for the 1932-S Washington Quarter and even though I do not believe that BK's coin is an RPM and thus a Discovery Coin, I believe that it would be best to email Mike Diamond at [email protected] about the coin and send him some really good pics from different angles to get his assessment of the coin.

Frank

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. To be honest I didn't really check any other part of the coin. Which I can do that. The one thing that came to mind is that somebody added the mint mark on there. I hope that's not the case. I think I've read about that in the past. But I will see if I can get some better pictures and send him an email. I'll let you know what he thinks. Thanks!

One other question when I got that coin it was really pretty. But I've kept it in his book and it looks like crap now. The one that has the plastic sleeves that slide over top of it. Is there anything I can do to get to get the mint shine back? Or should I just leave it

the typical baking soda, aluminum foil and boiling water is the best, and not abrasive.

You leave it alone! Toning is fine. If you remove it you strip away the mint luster.

The reason I ask is because I had a 1904 s Morgan in a graded really high but no one wanted to buy it because it looks like crap in the case. Everyone one wanted the shiny one but not the tone one.

It is really best to leave it alone as enamel stated because if the method used is detected by someone, then that raises more questions about the authenticity of it being a 1932-S and would get a negative note on the label from a Third Party Grading Service, if the coin is ever sent in for certification.

Frank

Not to mention that once you strip away that top layer it can cause future toning to look worse. Grading companies grade the coin, not the toning. True collectors understand that and will pay more for an "uncleaned" coin.

In an old Variety and Oddity book by Frank G. Spadone, there is a listing for a double mint mark on a 1932S quarter.

This is a great post...potential double mint mark and excellent advice not cleaning.

Now, hmmm, how can I resist the temptation to clean...?

aj

This is a great post...potential double mint mark and excellent advice not cleaning.

Now, hmmm, how can I resist the temptation to clean...?

aj

I won't clean it. Sent the guy an email and put the coin back in the book. Thanks for the advice.

What is the difference between a double die and a machine doubling? Is it all done by machine anyways.

What is the difference between a double die and a machine doubling? Is it all done by machine anyways.

It's not the same. Md is caused by the die shifting ever so little during the strike
Doubled dies are doubling on the design on the die. It was put there when the die was made
Md is simply damage created to the coin when it's struck.

Learn something new here everyday!

So (a little sidetrack), the 1955D DD penny, the doubling is in the die? So that means the mint's die QC leaves something to be desired...?

So if I put this coin on eBay at a $.99 auction, should I mention the mint Mark? Or take a photo of it or not? Or should I send it off and have a graded first.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back