M

mole

Attachments

• Merc.jpg
    Merc.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 458
Upvote 0
UPDATE

Took it to a shop. I learned a hard lesson this week. Dont wash your coins. They said it would grade VF (about $100??) but cleaned and thats if they would even do it. I did not think I "cleaned it" ...just rinsed with water and used my fingers. Hey I had no clue what I had. It even rattled around in my pocket for an hour with other coins. Would have been several hundred....oh well live and learn.

Mole

mole said:
UPDATE

Took it to a shop. I learned a hard lesson this week. Dont wash your coins. They said it would grade VF (about $100??) but cleaned and thats if they would even do it. I did not think I "cleaned it" ...just rinsed with water and used my fingers. Hey I had no clue what I had. It even rattled around in my pocket for an hour with other coins. Would have been several hundred....oh well live and learn.

Mole

Theres an article in August edition Coins magazine (got mine yesterday) concerning the cleaning of coins. I recommend that everyone that cleans coins read this article. Basically, anything destructive to the coins surface, could be acids, detergent, and even fingernails, is considered cleaned. However, a coin that is rinsed in water (with or without soap, dipped in solvents or even wiped with a soft cloth is also considered clean. Ive said it before on these forums, and now its published, if you find a coin that may even potentially have a slight amount of value, please do not clean it at all if you do not want to decrease its value.

Anthony

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back