1914 Barbers Half Dollar (Pop out?) - Update!

cjscoins

Dec 30, 2008
1914 Barber's Half Dollar (Pop out?) - Update!

I will post pictures of this later - after my kids get up and show me how, but I found and am not sure if it is worth anything a 1914 Barber's half dollar coin. The back side was deliberately pressed so that the face would "pop out". At the top of the rim of the coin it appears it may have been made into a pendant or necklace as there are little rough marks at the "o" in God and the "u" in Trust. It does have a couple of other little nicks around the rim. It's hasn't been cleaned. Any help anyone can give I would appreciate it.

Thank You!

Attachments

• IMG_1319.jpg
    IMG_1319.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 775
  • IMG_1320.jpg
    IMG_1320.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 749
Re: 1914 Barber's Half Dollar (Pop out?) - Update!

I always find these alteed coins to be cool. Someone had much more time and patience than I to do that.

Upvote 0

i have seen these before. i believe at carnivals and fairs they used to have a machine that would pop that face into a coin. there have been several posted since i have been here at T-Net. very cool find and a great conversation piece.

Upvote 0

They were done by hand. I have seen several. It is a similar art to making a ring from a coin or the HOBO Buffalo Nickle art, etc. There is one on EBAY now of a Kennedy Half. I would call it folk art. There is a collector market for them but I can't believe that they would have any numismatic value since the coin is altered from its original state. Great find. Given the fact that it is a Barber, it could have well been don by a WWI soldier. Was it found in any way with a connection to WWI at an old fort or in the estate of an old soldier?

Upvote 0

not sure my husband said that when he was a kid, he's 46, an old barn sat on the property in northern calif and that people would dump their junk

Upvote 0

I think that is a real cool coin. I have never seen anything like that and impressed by how it looks, I can easily see why someone would collect those.

Upvote 0

I have one like it. Mine is gold plated and made from a Kennedy Half Dollar. I believe its the face of Liberty and I think mine was a souvenir from the Statue of Liberty renovation. We had a post on this awhile back but I would have to search hard for it. I dont know if it was positively IDed. Meanwhile I have found this pic in my files from another members find.

Attachments

• liberty popout.jpg
    liberty popout.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 1,507
Upvote 0

They are impressive & I would probably pay more for it like that, than in its original state!

Upvote 0

I had one made from a 1909 Barber Quarter, I searched for info on it, took it to many coin shops, etc & never realy got any answers. I put it in a coin bezel & made it into a necklace............my daughter loves it & wears it everyday! :)

Upvote 0

Attachments

• liberty popout 1981 front.jpg
    liberty popout 1981 front.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,312
  • liberty popout side.jpg
    liberty popout side.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,203
  • liberty popout 1981 front.jpg
    liberty popout 1981 front.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,139
  • liberty popout side.jpg
    liberty popout side.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,135
Upvote 0

That's a super neat coin! Wish I could find one like that!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back