1913 Glendale Dog Tax

pok8herc

Sep 20, 2013
Phoneix
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have any info to add to this. Does the number 8 mean it was the 8th issued dog tag?

ForumRunner_20130921_163208.png

The earlier dog tax versions are fairly rare and like the one Kuger posted sell for around $30 or so... I had a friend of mine dig a 1911 about a week ago and showed me. I don't know exactly when they started having dog taxes?? but i think sometime around the turn of the century it seems. I don't think I seen a dog tax earlier than 1908.. Welcome to the forum and not that bad of a dig there. Good luck to you in future hunts.

Upvote 0
Actually, the 1800s dog tax tags can go for upwards of $100. I have personally posted one from 1881 and one from 1882. Check your research, HutDigger. A good resource is Bill Bone's book "US Dog License Tags and Related Exonumia."

Regards,

Buck

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone, this is very helpful. I am new to this forum and am still trying to figure it out. I'm based out of Phoenix Arizona, Glendale is a smaller part of town nearby. I have been into metal detecting for about a year and a half. Its difficult to find areas to hunt that date back to the early 1900's, and Ive found a few rabies vaccine dog tags but nothing that dates this old. I'm still eager to find out what significance the number plays on the tag. AZ became a state in 1912, so I was wondering if that plays into when they may have started to issue dog tax tag locally in this state. Thanks again for any and all help!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back