Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found today, I’m not well versed in coins, came out of a field where a barn used to stand which may have burned down, considering all the nails.

So questions I gave it a brushing with an old toothbrush thinking the silver would pop, but it almost looks rusty which wouldn’t make sense with a silver/copper coin. Is this common due to a fire or maybe years of fertilizer?

Second question it looks like it’s been struck off center, there appears to be more of a lip in the 4oclock direction. Am I seeing things or is it really off center?

Lastly I have it soaking in olive oil to see if I can’t get more loose, is there a better way to maybe get the crud off of the possible mint mark? Or is it even possible to clean whatever it is?

A6F373DA-1920-49E3-A6C2-8B24F2A260E4.jpeg

D6A4F8EA-B88D-4EB1-8AFF-9C7F13AC11B6.jpeg
C2A8E96D-E14D-49A7-83A1-F0C8D9A35EB9.jpeg
986C3D61-3ED6-4E45-AEF7-A7165328D098.jpeg

Looks like a 1905S. Not a particularly rare coin, and in it's current state, mostly just silver value. cleaning it any further won't improve it's condition or value and just might remove some detail. I'd just leave it like it is if it were me deciding.

I’m not too worried about value, it’s my treasure and a piece of history off family land, means a lot more to me than anyone else, Id just like to get it in the best condition I can without destroying detail. I was looking this morning and think I see an s as well, cooler than your current mint marks. Thanks for looking.

Fair warning might make some of you cringe but after weeks soaking, the occasional tooth pick, an old brush and toothpaste I decided it was already pretty damaged and not a high dollar coin so I put a brass brush to it, I’m pretty happy still not sure what the black stuff was but it certainly reacted with the coin and pitted it. But I’d rather have the silver pitting than it looking like it was covered in moss or tar.
54D4D8D2-A642-404C-982D-DF4F4E61508D.jpeg
9BB6ACBC-43CF-4D76-932B-60EE30FA6C16.jpeg

In that condition I don’t think you lost anything by cleaning it up. I would have done the same. Even with that much environmental damage, you still have the date and mint mark. Id be thrilled with that find!

Fair warning might make some of you cringe but after weeks soaking, the occasional tooth pick, an old brush and toothpaste I decided it was already pretty damaged and not a high dollar coin so I put a brass brush to it, I’m pretty happy still not sure what the black stuff was but it certainly reacted with the coin and pitted it. But I’d rather have the silver pitting than it looking like it was covered in moss or tar.
View attachment 2073274View attachment 2073275
Well done on cleaning up the dime, a much improved look to it now.
Now the details pop out a lot better and it wasn't doing that in the state that you found it.
Nice save, getting a piece of history off the family land.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back