Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I know this is a tag. It appears to be brass. It's not very big and would fit on a good sized dog collar, but I don't think that's what it is. Found at a rural homesite dating to the late 1800s. It was not in a town or city (then or now), so there would certainly not have been any "leash law" or anything like that. No permits for much of anything. I thought the "M.D.T." might stand for "Missouri Department of Transportation" (which goes by "MoDoT" these days), but that didn't exist until 1913, presumably well after this tag was stamped 1897. I don't think it's a cattle tag (all the ones I've ever seen were round). Maybe the M.D.T. is the initials of a person or company, but I have not been able to find anything matching.

Any thoughts? What would this have been used for?

Front:

IMG_6313.jpeg

Back is completely blank.
IMG_6312.jpeg

Solution
There are a number of similarities to Missouri dog tags listed on Worthpoint. Though it would be missing the town name. If it is a dog tag it is an old one! Here are just a few, you can search Worthpoint and find many more -

One of these uses the "M D T" and is identified as Marshall, MO. I can't verify :)

1895 tag from LaMonte

1920 Male dog tag from Kansas City

1904 Knobnoster...
Missouri Department of Transport???
I thought that too, but the Missouri Department of Transportation didn't exist until 1913.

I've tried searching the web and old newspapers, but just searching on three letters turns out to be insanely difficult.

Upvote 1
There are a number of similarities to Missouri dog tags listed on Worthpoint. Though it would be missing the town name. If it is a dog tag it is an old one! Here are just a few, you can search Worthpoint and find many more -

One of these uses the "M D T" and is identified as Marshall, MO. I can't verify :)

1895 tag from LaMonte

1904 Knobnoster

Upvote 5
Solution

1895 tag from LaMonte

1904 Knobnoster
Was thinking similar….not to get but too specific, was the location of find in/around a county or town that starts with m?

Upvote 2
I see @Bramblefind and @ncsuwolf posted as I was typing this. You guys were on the right track.

I did some more searching and found that there is a Missouri Dog Tax, which is apparently still on the books, though I don't think anyone cares anymore (see RSMO 273.050). And it does in fact call for a metal tag with a number to be attached to the dog's collar (see RSMO 273.070). There's just one problem -- the law was passed in 1907, so there wouldn't have been a tag for 1897.

But, to add to the strangeness, I find that the closest nearby town (Marshfield) did have a "dog law" in place back in the 1890s. I can't find the text of the law or what exactly it covered, but I can find references to people paying the dog tax and getting collar plates for it. And I don't know why someone who didn't actually live in the city would be inclined to pay such a tax, but maybe, if they occasionally took the dog to town?

At any rate, I'm going to say that's probably what this is -- a literal dog tag issued by the nearest town, and MDT means Marshfield Dog Tax (or Tag).

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

And yes, this proves metal detecting is still fun! :icon_thumright:

Upvote 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back