farmdump

Mar 5, 2013
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1880's stove door?

As I promised, Here is my best find yet. It even has a round picture of a lady on the left of the door:

Photo on 2013-03-07 at 11.29.jpg

I have been told the the picture is worth at least $100 dollars. Will upload better pics of the door tonight.

Yeah, another photo showing size reference, looks like a great find.

Upvote 0
Sure thing

Heres a better pic of the stove door:

Photo on 2013-03-07 at 13.29.jpg

hope that works! note: when I found the door both pictures were in it but the bottom one was broken. I took the bottom one out but kept the top one in.

size: 20 by 11 inches.

20= bottom

11= side

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sure thing

Heres a better pic of the stove door:

View attachment 754116

hope that works! note: when I found the door both pictures were in it but the bottom one was broken. I took the bottom one out but kept the top one in.

size: 20 by 11 inches.

20= bottom

11= side
Very cool! I would put the broken one back in, broken is always better than missing! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
never seen that before. Thats awesome! nice find!!! what is the picture on the door made out of? porcelain? marble?

Upvote 0
I think its made of porcelain. The picture is actually a medalion that was put in there quite a long time ago. It was found in Maine so could a company located in Maine make this door?

also, does this door look like it is from the 1880s?

Upvote 0
754082d1362674198-1880s-stove-door-photo-2013-03-07-11.29.jpg

Hey farmdump,

Man, that is a fancy door. From what material are the cameo portraits made, and will you please show us the other?

I'm thinking a very fancy Charter Oak stove model.

290725852682_1_1_1.jpg

Upvote 0
Very good info Surf

The cameo on the bottom looks exactly like the one on the top. And i'm pretty sure that its made of porcelain because the inside of the picture is pure white. Does the door look older than 1880?

hope that helps

Last edited:
Upvote 0
to me it looks abouts that age, 1880's or so. Not an oven expert! but def. 1800's. Nice find!!

Upvote 0
Thanks Bryan

Is there any value in the porcelain picture in the stove? I have been told that they are very hard to find and the picture is at least $100 or more. What would you price the picture to be?

Upvote 0
im guessing the portrait is maybe 2 - 3 inches in length? if its porcelain i would guess 150 to 200 dollars for just the picture. Just an estimate!! im not sure!!! but other porcelain relief portraits go for that. Ill keep checking for you

Upvote 0
The Portland Stove Foundry, maker of Atlantic (Queen Atlantic) stoves, was the largest stove foundry in Maine, but I can't locate a model from them with this door (but haven't dug too deep). There were foundries in Mass and Vt. too, which I haven't looked into, but it would seem it shouldn't be too far from "home" (being brought in by train).
Around $100-$125 would be my estimate on your stove tile (as their called), as they can be found listed anywhere from there up to $200, but those are asking prices, the higher end which might not be obtained.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the info NhBenz

I dont think it was made by the portland stove foundry because looking at pictures of atlantic stoves, they look very different. I was told that the stove was made by a stove company in Bangor, Maine. The stove door looks more elegant than what the atlantic stove doors look like. If it was a Atlantic, then the world "Atlantic" would be on the door. Check for stove companys in Bangor and tell us what info you find.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back