1851 Victorian gold update

trev

Dec 28, 2006
Falkirk Scotland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Got this wee ring back from the jewelers today all cleaned up with the slight plough damaged dent repaired, you guys asked for the story so here is how it went.

A lovely spring sunny day on a Sunday morning in central Scotland, My friend J & I always detect at the weekend as its the only time free from work, so we decided to try a pasture field that has produced lots of Georgian to Edwardian finds in the last few months, most finds from this area are classed as "dumped", what this means is that way back long ago the city of Glasgow & Edinburgh "only 30min drive away" used to pay farmers to receive & use the city's rubbish as fertilisers for there land, they believed that old material such as clothes were good for the crop.

Horse & cart were used to distribute the rubbish which was then ploughed by Man & horse into the land, this for us sad detectorists ;D is where it gets interesting, we find lots of Victorian & WW1 buttons, badges,medals etc which would have still been attached to the clothing, uniforms etc, however the downside is all the bits of lead & rubbish that was also dumped so you can imagine all the 2 way "wasted signals we have to dig" :o, however the thought of a nice wee silver keeps us going ;D

This particular day after digging lots of scrap I decided to go towards a corner of the field in a straight line, its a 10 minute slow walk from where we parked, I got signal after signal of scrap with the occasional good wee keepie such as a Victorian coin & old buckle. Near the corner I received a small below 20 signal on my dfx, digging out the square of turf I used my probe to realise the item was in the grass clump.

Carefully splitting the turf i saw the glimmer of gold, as usual I thought it would be a bottle cap or gold coloured ring tab from a can, however the ring Shape appeared & there in my hand was a wee bit of history, even better it was engraved with a name, date.

It turned out to be a Victorian 18carat gold mourning ring inscribed with the name & date 5th march 1851 to boot.

I am now going to try to trace any living relatives from archives, & hopefully hand it back to the family where it belongs

Attachments

• MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,077
  • MVC-020S.JPG
    MVC-020S.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,078
  • MVC-014S.JPG
    MVC-014S.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,084
Upvote 0
Wow, something that old I don't know if I could give it up. I would think it would be too old have any sentimental value to any living descendant unless you could locate a family historian who would cherish it for what it is.

Great story and an incredible find. Please keep us posted on finding a relative.
HH
Mark G

Great story trev and a beautiful ring!! I don't know that I would return it. A class ring, inscribed wedding ring and such from the modern era would be worth the return to those who currently cherish it. A ring that old is most likely long forgotten by the family members of the member who wore it. Then again.....maybe it is possible to find a relative from that WWI era still living who would remember that ring!!!! Not likely. There is always hope. I would hate to have to weigh that option. GL in your search.

Thanks guys, still think I will try to trace living relatives, will never know the reaction unless I try 8)

Im all for ya to find the relatives if you can. Maybe you'll find someone who is into there past family tree and you never know, you may make someone interested in looking up there history. Way to go on the find either way.

WoW Trev! What a fantastic find with a great story to go along with it! I know if someone found something that great, that was linked to my past family members, I would be very thankful and extremely happy to have it. :)

Beautiful find! Congrats!

Nana

trev said:
I am now going to try to trace any living relatives from archives, & hopefully hand it back to the family where it belongs

Don't know much about tracing relatives across the pond but if you trace them to here (US) I will get the skinny on them and track down the living ones for you. If you called up ancestry.com they might do the search for free for you to return it but before turning it over I would ask to see the proof. Census, Death certificates, birth certificates, marriage certificates and then confirm them yourself through the municiplaties. Now that would be something fun to return. The hunt within the hunt! WooHoo!

That ring is awesome Trev...beautiful find...Definetley keep us posted on this one for sure.Nice Job!!

trev said:
Thanks guys, still think I will try to trace living relatives, will never know the reaction unless I try 8)

If you don't find them...at least you tried.

And it is a great ring!!! ;D

From the images it appears to be almost two piece (a ring within a ring). Does it slide or twist apart? What is the inscription on the outside? Looks almost cunist compaired to the flowing script engraving inside. Very unique and interesting.

great ring! Also very interesting, it's nice to find something with some histoy behind it.

Thanks folks i am still on the hunt for the relitives, will keep you all posted :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back