1851 Braided Hair Large Cent

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
On my way back from a golf tournament yesterday, I took the back roads returning home and passed an old abandoned school house less than 4 miles from my home. Making a mental note to check it out the next day, I ventured out today on a very hot & humid late morning. I couldn't find any history about this old school house, but it did show on maps dating back to the mid-1800s. I explored the back (east) of the school first, a bean field was planted to within 25 feet of the back of the school. The area was somewhat trashy and I kept working my way around to the north side. I finally went to the south side of the school and finally got a reasonable tone (a VDI of 88 at 4 inches deep). The ground was softer here and not as much gravel. As I dug, I happened to see a green sphere in thebottom of the hole and reached down to pull out the coin. I turned it over and immediately recognized part of the wreath and knew I'd found a large cent....my second LC find ever. I found my first large cent (1829) last December. It was the only coin I found today, but I'll make a return visit soon. Once I got home, I was able to determine its date was 1851. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 100_9957.JPG
    100_9957.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 529
  • Photo015.JPG
    Photo015.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 531
  • 100_9954.JPG
    100_9954.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 521
  • Photo013.JPG
    Photo013.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 542
  • 100_9957.JPG
    100_9957.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 536
  • 100_9957.JPG
    100_9957.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 526
  • 100_9956.JPG
    100_9956.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 525
Upvote 0
Nice LC!! There should be some Indian Heads there,maybe even a Flying Eagle cent. Good luck on your return,
Jerry

Nice large copper. Gotta like that. :thumbsup:

Congrats on the LC.

I only have found one here in Utah as they are very few and far between here in the desert.

That place looks like a great place to hunt.

Thanks for sharing

Excellent find! I love digging LC's. Find some more. Have you hit it with the peroxide bath yet? CONGRATS Hogge :thumbsup:

great finds and an excellent place to hunt bedpanmoneyman :thumbsup: get back there soon as you can , it got very hot and humid here fast today so i decided to stay in and rest :'( maybe an early sunday morn hunt is in order ! goodluck on your return to that great site ;D

Awesome find on the large copper!!

hey congrats man..... I needa start hunting with you and Terry(soreknees) I havent had any decent places to hunt for a while now..... man I need some cool old spots....

Nice find! As soon as they pick the beans, I would be back hunting farther out!
Good Luck! Dale

That is one super excellent find, it surely woulda made my year.. I can't wait to hear what other goodies you get outta there.. big time congrats to you. :thumbsup:

Ia.FurTrade said:
Nice find! As soon as they pick the beans, I would be back hunting farther out!
Good Luck! Dale
You can count on that. First thing I thought of while I was hunting the site.
I also found the property records of this site. The school was built in 1803!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back