1850s people obsessed with punching holes in coins.....

lrgoodger

May 2, 2023
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000-D, Garrett GTA-1000, Minelab Sovereign, XP Deus I, Equinox 800, XP Deus II
Two different cornfields and everything I found had a hole in it! First site yielded only a half dollar sized token. I found it online and there is a version almost exactly like this that has a date of 1850 under the word 'western'.

Token 6-15-24.jpg

The second site yielded an 1869 shield nickel lying on the surface. The guy who owned this house wasn't satisfied with one hole. The holes on the nickel don't go all the way through, but there are definitely two holes started on the reverse. The 1852 trime has two holes in it. Too bad. That is my first trime that didn't come from sidewalk construction and has the least circulation wear on it of any I have found.
Cornfield Trime.JPGCornfield Trime Rev.JPG

All in all, I am happy. My brother was the one who got skunked today.

Upvote 34
Two different cornfields and everything I found had a hole in it! First site yielded only a half dollar sized token. I found it online and there is a version almost exactly like this that has a date of 1850 under the word 'western'.

View attachment 2154289

The second site yielded an 1869 shield nickel lying on the surface. The guy who owned this house wasn't satisfied with one hole. The holes on the nickel don't go all the way through, but there are definitely two holes started on the reverse. The 1852 trime has two holes in it. Too bad. That is my first trime that didn't come from sidewalk construction and has the least circulation wear on it of any I have found.
View attachment 2154293View attachment 2154294

All in all, I am happy. My brother was the one who got skunked today.
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back