1845 Arthur Fitzwilliam Tait Litho bought at local thrift shop. Cost = $1.00

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an original 1845 litho by Arthur Fitzwilliam Tait at local thrift shop. It is a scene of Hebden Bridge in a West Yorkshire landscape. It shows the construction of Manchester to Leeds Railway including one of the oldest steam engine train. The piece was identified by England's National Railway Museum. Evidently, it was passed along among family members in Yorkshire. It's in really good condition considering it almost 170 years old. Now, the big question is.... How to sell it? Feedback? :icon_scratch: a_f_tait1845.jpg100_9502.jpg

Attachments

• tait_1844.jpg
    tait_1844.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Upvote 1
That is a cool find! Any idea of value?

I have no idea of the value, but I would love know so any feedback is welcome.
I think this piece is rare because Tait was 26 years old when he created this litho. From what I read online, Tait later moved to America and began painting with oil. His litho days were over. My camera is a hunk of junk so the photo does not do it justice because there are lot of details in art work.

Last edited:
This artwork is an original 1845 litho which makes it 168 years old. So it is worth a lot more than a $25 quick print from an online website.

Maybe so, but his link shows you that there is enough interest in the picture to warrant a $25 price tag on a reproduction.

I would shop around for local art experts, maybe an art museum and ask them.

I have no experience in this, but since it's an original, contact Sothby's or similar high level national art dealer to see whether they'll auction it off for you & what percentage you'd get of their sale. Whatever you do, don't sell it to ANYONE so quickly that you discover months later that you could've sold it for a lot more. :BangHead:

Cool find!
:notworthy: :icon_thumright: Andi

OK I will double your money. Overnight it to me tomorrow and I will put your two bucks in the mail!!! Cool find, I hope you make a killing on it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back