1840 Bergan Iron Works Token R-4

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had some play time before work today so I went back to a site that I've been working for a few weeks now. The Token was a surface find. It's a 1840 Bergan Iron Works Store Token made in Lakewood, New Jersey. They were made in copper and brass. The copper ones are rarer (R-4). The obverse text reads “Bergen iron Works Store” and the reverse text reads “Bone Fidei Signum 1840.” Translation: Latin: Good faith sign. It shows two hands shaking surrounded by rays. Mine is copper HT-206, Rarity-4
The brick is really early. Some of the bricks have a glass finish on them. It appears that they were over heated when they were made. Not just another brick in the wall!
The ring should be much older as most of the buttons and coins from this site seem to be from around middle to late 1700's. Maybe next time I'll find one with an inscription on it!

Attachments

• berg1.jpg
    berg1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 54
  • berg2.jpg
    berg2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 34
  • berg4.jpg
    berg4.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 35
  • berg3.jpg
    berg3.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 36
Upvote 23
I had some play time before work today so I went back to a site that I've been working for a few weeks now. The Token was a surface find. It's a 1840 Bergan Iron Works Store Token made in Lakewood, New Jersey. They were made in copper and brass. The copper ones are rarer (R-4). The obverse text reads “Bergen iron Works Store” and the reverse text reads “Bone Fidei Signum 1840.” Translation: Latin: Good faith sign. It shows two hands shaking surrounded by rays. Mine is copper HT-206, Rarity-4
The brick is really early. Some of the bricks have a glass finish on them. It appears that they were over heated when they were made. Not just another brick in the wall!
The ring should be much older as most of the buttons and coins from this site seem to be from around middle to late 1700's. Maybe next time I'll find one with an inscription on it!
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back