1835 Capped Bust Half Dime & Matron Head Large Cent

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
1835 Capped Bust Half Dime & Matron Head Large Cent

Hit a woods today about 20 minutes east of my store here on the North Shore of Long Island. I'd been in this woods twice before - once in October and found a Draped Bust Large Cent, and the other time in early January, when there was still some snow on the ground, and wound up finding an 1880s Indian Head penny in one of the thawed areas. After about a half hour got a spot on full bar quarter reading at four inches on my MXT and knew it was a Large Cent. It's a holed Matron Head that might be 1818 or 1815. Then a little while later I got a bouncing penny/dime reading that settled on, I think, full bar penny. Got the target out of the hole, and was having trouble finding the target. No wonder I was having trouble, I finally came up with a small disc, that I qucikly realized was silver, and it turned out to be an 1835 Capped Bust Half Dime. Yep, like a jerk in my excitement, I rubbed it and scratched it; though in real life the coin looks a lot better than the picture provided, since the black spots are not as noticeable. This is my third Capped Bust silver, the others are an 1829 Half Dime, which also read as a penny on the MXT, and an 1814 Dime with a hole in it. Also found a couple of 19th century flat buttons and an old bullet.

Attachments

• finds.jpg
    finds.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 603
  • finds2.jpg
    finds2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 596
  • finds3.jpg
    finds3.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 602
  • finds4.jpg
    finds4.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 589
  • finds5.jpg
    finds5.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 593
  • finds6.jpg
    finds6.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 578
Upvote 0
Re: 1835 Capped Bust Half Dime & Matron Head Large Cent

Nice capped bust halfdime!

The numbers on the screen don't matter when you're on an old site :thumbsup: I've dug silver dimes that hit below nickels on the screen, and nickels that hit like quarters.

sweet half dime! congrats

Awesome finds!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back