1817 Large Cent, my FIRST seated coin ever and a really nice 3 ringer today!!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My cousin and I took our detectors with us to work today. We have a property we mow for and we gained full permission to hunt this past spring. Well, today after we finished our work we went to it. I already knew where I was headed and I was off! I started to grid this area up along the fence line and the first signal was a deep piece of camp lead. Second signal was an even bigger piece of camp lead. Third signal was a screamer! It was a 90 on the F75 and I cut the plug and it's still in the hole, pinpoint it and grab my lesche and out popped what looked like 3 large coins! Nope, one large cent with the impressions of the coin on either side of it. lol Either way, it's an 1817 large cent(my oldest of the 3 I have found on this property) and definitely a keeper!

I go back to walking slow with the coil as low as it will go in this tall grass. I found the large cent at 12:48pm then around 1:25pm I get a good deep sounding signal. I dig the plug and scan the plug...not in there. I dig out the hole some more...take the pinpointer to the hole, but I'm not finding it in there...or on top the ground. Scan with my F75 and it is out of the hole for sure! Finally I locate it with the pinpointer and I see SILVER! YES! Turn it over...my FIRST SEATED! FINALLY!! 1840 at that, an early one. So I compose my self after that and scan the area some more and find a beautiful dropped 3 ringer. Must have been a little camp set up here, 'cause early in the year no more than 50 feet from where I found this stuff I found a bunch of 3 ringers and 54 cal. gardners.

I pretty much packed it up after that. I hunted a little longer with no luck, but I had enough luck I suppose to satisfy me! Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Attachments

• 8-31-2012seatedb.jpg
    8-31-2012seatedb.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 210
  • 8-31-2012seatedf.jpg
    8-31-2012seatedf.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 216
  • 8-31-2012largec.jpg
    8-31-2012largec.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 197
  • 8-31-2012lands.jpg
    8-31-2012lands.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 8-31-2012largeandseated.jpg
    8-31-2012largeandseated.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 8-31-2012bullet.jpg
    8-31-2012bullet.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 183
  • 8-31-2012finds.jpg
    8-31-2012finds.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Upvote 4
Congrats on some VERY NICE finds!!

Joe

If you are making these great recoveries now Matt, it will be scary what you will dig this Fall and Winter-LOl. WTG Matt and congrats on your first seated, Quindy.

Beautiful finds, Matt. Looks like you've found a sweet little honeyhole :headbang: Keep at that place a while. Congratulations on your first seated.

A lot of good finds are on the fence row lately :laughing7: my buckle a couple weeks ago was 3 paces from the next property over.

If you are making these great recoveries now Matt, it will be scary what you will dig this Fall and Winter-LOl. WTG Matt and congrats on your first seated, Quindy.

Let's not jinx it now, Quindy! lol But I sure am hoping that's the case.

Beautiful finds, Matt. Looks like you've found a sweet little honeyhole :headbang: Keep at that place a while. Congratulations on your first seated.

A lot of good finds are on the fence row lately :laughing7: my buckle a couple weeks ago was 3 paces from the next property over.

Luckily for me this is just one of many fence lines on the same property. They have cattle in there right now and it keeps'em seperated from other parts of the farm. On the other side of the fence earlier in the year is where I found a nice pair of cuff links.

Congrats on your finds! Keep hitting that place. Always good when you find silver, copper, and mini balls.

Nice 1840!

Good stuff! Just keep working that spot there will be more, you got some good hunting to be done there.

nice finds. i found a large cent today also.got it soaking in the peroxide. can't make out a date yet.

Well done! This was a great post to read. The coins are excellent of course, and a BIG congrats on your first Seated!!

It looks like you got a brass finial there too--maybe cap box or similar?

Cheers,

Buckles

Congrats again on your first seated! I was heading down on the other side of the property when you sent me the text of the large cent, then the dime, then the 3 ringer. So i found out where you where and took off in your direction. But i didnt have any luck. Thats the way it goes sometimes. Happy one of use got a silver yesterday. Awesome job on the finds i know we will find many more this winter!

Congrats again on your first seated! I was heading down on the other side of the property when you sent me the text of the large cent, then the dime, then the 3 ringer. So i found out where you where and took off in your direction. But i didnt have any luck. Thats the way it goes sometimes. Happy one of use got a silver yesterday. Awesome job on the finds i know we will find many more this winter!

Definitely! We got in there right as things were growing and already overgrown. So I'm excited to see what we pull out this winter when we can get around more.

Luckily for me this is just one of many fence lines on the same property. They have cattle in there right now and it keeps'em seperated from other parts of the farm. On the other side of the fence earlier in the year is where I found a nice pair of cuff links.

Nice, I've looked for the wreath half of my buckle on the other side of the fence 3 or 4 hunts now and don't think its there.. oh well

good luck on your next trip

Thanks bud. I was telling my cousin before we got there that I really hadn't found anything worthwhile there since mid April, which was my 1781 half real. I've learned to just take my time and go slow a lot more, and it really does pay off(if it's there). I think mainly before I just never had much time to actually take my time. lol

Good luck to you on finding that wreath. I really enjoy your finds and your videos.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back