✅ SOLVED 1800's Decorative Plate with Massachusetts Seal; Anyone Know What this is From?

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this at a new site today. So far not a single coin or button, just lots of very mysterious pieces like this one.

DSC07999.JPGDSC08001.JPGDSC08002.JPGDSC08003.JPG

The design in the middle looks like the Massachusetts state crest. There may be some writing on the scroll below it, but even with a stereo microscope I wasn't able to make it out. There are two flanges on the side with small holes for affixing it. The material is copper and it looks like it was stamped as one piece. So has anyone come across one of these in their travels?

Kind looks like the better part of a suspender clip, maybe?
The stuff on the banner below is likely the state motto, found on the coat of arms: "Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" (By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty).

Upvote 0
Agreed, suspender clip (Cira late 19th C)

Upvote 0
Thank you so much vpnavy!!! Those were some seriously fancy suspenders and it's interesting that these turn up from time to time up and down the east coast. I wonder if anyone has tracked down a manufacturer?

At any rate this is the first date-able find from the site which is fantastic and hopefully there will be more to come!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back