1800s Axe Head???? Someone Please Identify.

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1800's Axe Head???? Someone Please Identify.

I went out today to an old Forest Preserve that dates back to the late 1800's.
I was looking on Google Earth to check things out from above to see if there was anything out of the ordinary. I did see a black spot on the map that I searched and I think it may have been a burn spot upon further investigation.

While in the general location I kept my coil to the ground while walking, then I saw an old Glass someone had put on a tree branch. As I was walking I became very startled because my detector was so quite I forgot it was on. When I heard the beep I nearly jumped out of my skin. I found what I think may be an old axe head. It has one jagged sharp edge and is about 5" wide from the blade to the back.

I also found a 1963 Abe Cent.

Can anyone identify this object?

Sorry bout the pictures I had a hard time with my camera focussing so I had to do a hand shot.

Also saw 4-Deer, can you spot them in the picture?

Axe Head.jpg

Axe Head Bottom.jpg

Axe Head Side View.jpg

Axe Side View.jpg

Axe Side View 2.jpg

Axe Top Blade.jpg

Four Deer.jpg

Attachments

• Four Deer.jpg
    Four Deer.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 341
  • Axe Top Blade.jpg
    Axe Top Blade.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 357
  • Axe Side View 2.jpg
    Axe Side View 2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 353
  • Axe Side View.jpg
    Axe Side View.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 357
  • Axe Head Side View.jpg
    Axe Head Side View.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 387
  • Axe Head Bottom.jpg
    Axe Head Bottom.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 350
  • Axe Head.jpg
    Axe Head.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 343
Re: 1800's Axe Head???? Someone Please Identify.

That one looks quite old . Maybe early 1800 or older . The squareness of it . The earlier ones did not have much of a poll . They would often pound on them for use as a wedge . Looks like yours was pounded quite abut . Nice find!

Upvote 0
Re: 1800's Axe Head???? Someone Please Identify.

That axe is freaking screwed up... unless it was meant to be a wedge or splitter... but still :-\ .

Who can verify that it may have been damaged/misconfigured in a serious fire? I dunno...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back